Unanswered: Absolute beginner - possible quick fix?

Hi all!

I've never used Access before, but I need a simple database for my company. To start off with I only need to save some simple information, but I want to avoid duplicating my clients by being able to add several dates to one field.

I'm using a template called Contact Management Database in Access 2007.

I've added a field called "purchase date" but can't figure out how to add several dates to one client/field. I was hoping some kind person could help me?

Thanks in advance!

Surrey, UK
    Provided Answers: 2
    You don't.

If you want to avoid duplicates in a field, you can create an index on that field that disallows them. This is done when you're designing the tables.

If you try adding multiple values to one field, you'll end up with a world of pain if you ever try to extract meaning information from it later.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

I haven't seen this template, but I am guess the table in which you have placed the "purchase date" field is a table that contains contact names and info?

If this is the case, you may want to use a separate table to store the purchasing info in.

Make a new table with fields for the name (don't call the field name) and purchase date. Set the name as a lookup and reference the name in the contacts table. That way you're not changing anything in the first table, but making a new record in the second table for each purchase.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies! Much appreciated!!

I've decided to keep it simple and just use a field called 'notes', where I can write a list of dates. I would never search for the dates, only the customer, so this works for me.

Thanks again!