Unanswered: automatic maintenance, how to specify the compress option for bkps.

Hi all,

we are using db2 luw 9.7 on linux. We want to use automatic maintenance in our test- and acceptance-Tests-environments.

Im looking for additional configuration possibilities for automatic backup, such as bkp-compression, but havenīt found any hints in literature so far.

Doing interactive configuration using IBM Optim Database Admininistrator 2.2.3.0 those options are missing.

Is there a description of the xml-document used for configuration of automatic maintenance to let us specify those options ?

Any other ideas ? Comments are very welcome.

regards, willi

Provided Answers: 1
    I don't think you can specify a compression option in the automatic backup policy. The policy schema is in sqllib/MISC/DB2AutoBackupPolicy.xsd

In DB2 9.7 backup compression is on by default.

i donīt think bkp-compression is on by default. I did a little test and backed up one of our test-DBs using the compress option. bkp-Image was abaut 58 MB. Without using the compress option its 256 MB.

Do you think the compress-options is used by default using automatic maintenance ? Any links in literature ?

by the way, Iīll do a bkp using automatic maintenance. The size of the bkp-Image will give us the answer. :-)
    Thx for your reply

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by tubdba View Post
    i donīt think bkp-compression is on by default.
    Sorry, I was wrong. It's off by default, which likely means it won't be on for automatic backups either.

correct. After viewing the policy schema xml-file it seems there is no possebility to specify the compress option for automatic backup. There are no hints in IBM-supplied sampled either.
    As we reduced our bkp-disk-pool since using bkp-compression we wonīt use automatic bkp.
    So i imagine automatic bkp not to be used in most shops.......

correct. After viewing the policy schema xml-file it seems there is no possibility to specify the compress option for automatic backup. There are no hints in IBM-supplied samples either.
    As we reduced our bkp-disk-pool since using bkp-compression we wonīt use automatic bkp.
    So i imagine automatic bkp not to be used in most shops.......