Unanswered: Postgres 8.4 to Postgres 9 (was Progres 8.4 to Progress 9)

Hi,

I upgraded our server from postgres 8.4 to version 9. i tested our applications against it for a week and looks to work fine, and lately i just noticed that there are a lot of errors in the log which says:
    Permission denied large object nnnnnnn...
    and this error does not appear in the previous version.

this happens on users that have selected roles for specific tables but all users have a select access. other users that does have super user privileges works fine.

One thing also is that on my testing this in VB6 this SQL command
    ex. SELECT * FROM person_photos WHERE person_code = '12010';
    using unprivileged user:
    1. In VB6 this command produces and EOF set to TRUE.
    2. In psql the command found the record.

have anyone has an experienced with this behavior and what the did you do?

thanks,
    oscar
    Last edited by ocavid; 04-18-11 at 09:17. Reason: postgres not progress

Provided Answers: 12
    I'm confused. You posted in the PostgreSQL forum, but you only mention Progress (which is a completely different DBMS). Which DBMS exactly are you using.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by shammat View Post
    I'm confused. You posted in the PostgreSQL forum, but you only mention Progress (which is a completely different DBMS). Which DBMS exactly are you using.
    Sorry it should be postgres... i am working with progress and thinking about my application in postgres... it should be postgres. (anyone can edit the title pls do so).

I have never used large objects (bytea is usually a lot better) but the error message:

"Permission denied large object nnnnnnn..."

seems to indicate a problem with permissions in the file system.

Quote Originally Posted by shammat View Post
    I have never used large objects (bytea is usually a lot better) but the error message:

"Permission denied large object nnnnnnn..."

seems to indicate with a problem with permissions in the file system.
    Yes, i guess it is a problem with permission, I am just wondering why it happens, i am working with 8.4 and it works fine but after the upgrade it indicates this error, i did migrate the entire 8.4 data.

on the sideline how should i do that using BYTEA in VB6, i tried it but i could not understand it well, to store data in that BYTEA column using VB6?

thank you!
    Last edited by ocavid; 04-18-11 at 16:18. Reason: to make it more understandable, my computer is having a problem

Quote Originally Posted by ocavid View Post
    Yes, i guess it is a problem with permission, I am just wondering why it happens, i am working with 8.4 and it works fine but after the upgrade it indicates this error, i did migrate the entire 8.4 data.
    Apparently during migration (however you did that) the permissions where not restored correctly.

on the sideline how should i do that using BYTEA in VB6, i tried it but i could not understand it well, to store data in that BYTEA column using VB6?
    Sorry I have no idea. I have never worked with VisualBasic

Unhappy Why they did that?

This explains why I cannot access the large objects without having to become a superuser.
    [GENERAL] Large Object permissions lost in transfer