Question Unanswered: Path to certified database professional

I have graduated with B.S. Computer Science. I studied only one course in databases during my academic years but it got me interested into DBMS. In that course I learned SQL and some basic concepts like normalization etc. But it was SQL which got me interested into databases. SQL exercises in the course lab were like solving the best puzzle of my life. I don't have command over SQL but I know the basics. Apart from SQL, I don't like any other programming language and never took interest in any of them languages like C#, C++, java, PHP etc. I wanna start a career in databases. How should I proceed about it? I have prepared for CCNA from CBT Nuggets video tutorials and would like this medium for my databases learning as well. I would also like to add that I have got better concepts of Networking as compared to databases, so sometimes I wonder as to which career path I should take. If you can add something about career choice as well, that would be wonderful. Lets get back to learning databases. What really confuses me is where to start. I can find video tutorials about MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 & 2008 and Oracle 9i/10g on CBT Nuggets. I just want to become a good database professional and the path is not clear yet. Please help me here. Also comment if I should go with CBT Nuggets. Also should I go with Oracle because it seems to be the highest in market demand and should I go with the databases career in the first place? So many questions in one question and I don't know if I have put them right. But that is me, a confused CS graduate with no particular goal in sight.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    while SQL is necessary to inter-operate with any RDBMS, SQL needs to coexist with some other programming language that interfaces with the environment outside of the DB.
    To get a job, you will need to be proficient in both SQL & some other programming language.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Well there are some paths you can consider such as the Oracle Education.

Oracle has an associate level certification which gives you an entry level understanding of Oracle and SQL.

Oracle University Select country

You will need to complete the Oracle 1Z0-051 or 1Z0-047 exams and the 1Z0-052 exam to reach a certification.

Also you may consider job searching for entry level or jr. dba positions in your area. Finally government is always hiring entry level positions and assisting with training to improve your skills.

Good luck.

Thumbs up

@anacedent: I don't know any other programming language. I have had a little experience of creating web pages with Dreamweaver and a little knowledge of java programming language.
    @Stium: I was thinking about the certifications. I have already download the training videos for oracle associate certification from CBT Nuggets.

Some people have been telling me to start with Microsoft SQL server and then move higher towards Oracle. Would that be right or should go straight for Oracle?

Regards,

I think you should study in the area you want to work. I always wanted to work with Oracle. There are a lot of paths to take, it is all about finding which path it right for you. I think your first step should be to download and install some of the software. Learn the about DDL and DML. Create some views, procedures, trigger and functions on a test database.

Hands on experience is always a plus so when you see something in a test on a video you're not completely unfamiliar with it.

Those are just my suggestions.

Good luck

thanx Stium.

And the software is totally free for evaluation and training purposes. Not for production. I would get Oracle XE, very easy to install on a windows machine and is scaled so it won't kill your work stations performance. see

Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Downloads
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.