Unanswered: My db generating 5gb of logs every day

Hi all,

We have a database in windows. Actually it has generated 5gb of logs daily.
    May i know the reason why????

There is a replication setup has been there between this db(apply) and another db(cap). i have observered that capture db has generated only few logs.But this db has generated more. it's consumes more space.

Please suggest me.

Provided Answers: 5
    Apply for replication is writing data to the database. This needs to be logged. How much data is being copied each day?

Capture only reads data, so it needs very little logging.

Andy

sql replication generates logs, could you pls let us know which is your source db and target db and were is the logs getting generated is more.

regds
    Paul

My db generating 5gb of logs every day

Hi Andy & Paul,

Thanks for the reply...........

Paul....

The replication has setup between AIX(source) and windows(target)..........

But my windows (target) database server has generated more logs.Even though i stopped replication.

Andy......

There is only few data was copied every day.....sunday there is no operations has done.....but my target server has generated more logs on sunday also.

Could u please tell me any solution for this.....as there is less space in drive....
    Last edited by cooldil; 04-29-11 at 02:13. Reason: ...

Provided Answers: 2
    Check whether automatic maintenance is enabled on Target system. With automatic maintenance enabled, DB2 will run reorgs and runstats automatically. Both these activities generate additional logs. Check the values for AUTO_MAINT , AUTO_REORG , AUTO_RUNSTATS in db configuration on Target system. Also, check for event monitors writing to tables on Target system.

Satya..

My db generating 5gb of logs every day

Hi Satya....

Thanks for ur reply....

I have the paramaters of my db. AUTO_MAINT is ON and AUTO_RUNSTATS and AUTO_TBL_MAINT is ON but AUTO_REORG is OFF.

And also checked the montior paramaters all are ON.

Is this is the reason?( for my db has creating more logs). How can i slove this issue(reduce the logs.).

Provided Answers: 5
    You have to determine what is using log space. There are lots of things that are logged, including every update, insert, and delete. Refreshing MQTs will use log space. Running online (in place) reorgs use lots of logs space. We cannot give you a definitive answer because we do not know what is running against the database. Only you know that, so you have to figure out what is running on your database and consuming so much log space.

Andy