Unanswered: complete db beginner with questions of suitability and matching needs!

Hi,
    i am looking to create a database for my business website.

i have an estate agency (real estate) and want to create a database for the properties on our books; fairly simple and straightforward one with fields such as price, no. of bedrooms, features, etc and several photos for each property.

i also will require a number of fields visible to me in the database but not on the website.

the website is created in WebStudio5, which is pretty straight forward to use although i have not yet figured out how to embed the database in it. i guess i have to produce an XML feed (so the database must be able to do that) which i can import to the website, as well as other websites which i use for advertising.

if i can have it automatically updating whenever i alter the database that would be great but if i need to manually 'refresh' it then i dont mind.

once it is on the website i would like the user to be able to select various fields (i.e. do a search for 3 bedroom apartments or whatever).

clearly i also want to be able to make the database appear "in keeping" with the website too, and appear neat and tidy.

so my questions are:
    *is mySQL suitable for my needs? which is the product suitable for me - i have had a look at mySQL site and there seems to be an awful lot to choose from, i have downloaded workbench to take a look at for now.

*can i produce the XML feed easily that i require and link it into my website?

*am i able to select which fields appear on the website and which remain hidden, visible only in the database itself to me?

apologies if this is all ridiculously basic but i haven't worked with databases before; i really do appreciate any help and instructions people can give me!

thanks.

Provided Answers: 7
    Ok
    If the the server is windows I would use iis and Microsoft SQL only problem is that SQL will cost you some money's Only wise it yes to all of the above

Not to sale my self I wrote the site Welcome To French Touch Furniture it's has it own cms (content management system) where the owner can log in and change any thing on the site
    Right done to here has a max system with with MYOB on it he export a csv file and upload that to the server and the server then takes that csv import in the SQL database and that where you see the tick (currently in stock) most of the site was written in edit plus only for color coding so I can see it a bit easier

The hardest bit will be getting the tables database right once that bits done the rest will be a dream
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

thanks myle for your time and reply.

i will take a look at the site you linked.

have a couple of questions if you (or anyone else) dont mind clarifying:

" I would use iis and Microsoft SQL"
    1) what is iis?!
    2) approx how much for MS sql?

also is MS SQL easy to learn and use? im sure what i want to do is very basic, i just want to choose the fields i want and start entering records; i dont need a very difficult programme to use which is going to take me five times as long just to learn how to start using it.

thanks again.

A
    1 ... IIS = Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
    2 ... $$$ depending on where you get i from

MS SQL EASY TO LEAN ???
    that a hard Q to answer TOOK me about 5 days to lean it but had 10 year + in msaccess
    the hard part was getting my head around the MS SQL the database side I used my msaccess knowledge

trick are
    1 security
    2 Rolls <= get this wrong no one can login LOL
    3 Prodcedures (still getting head around that wing it)

One of my projects has 50+ user (with over 10,000 clients with over 50,000 case notes) all web login SSL
    growing daily then end of month about 2,000 case note archive monthly
    only to keep speed under control (that only me) SQL can handle Heaps heaps of WORK load

hope this help
    Last edited by myle; 04-29-11 at 07:22.
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    Progaming environment:
    MYLE

thanks again myle. i will look into this further then.

i wont have any trouble with logins etc because the only person using them will be me!

also only my properties going into the database (between 50 and 500 at any one time i suppose) so i won't have the problem of handling massive growth every week/month.

thanks for all your advice and will consider it further.

have a feeling i might be needing to get somebody to do this specifically!

Provided Answers: 4
    so my questions are:
    1 *is mySQL suitable for my needs? which is the product suitable for me - i have had a look at mySQL site and there seems to be an awful lot to choose from, i have downloaded workbench to take a look at for now.

2 *can i produce the XML feed easily that i require and link it into my website?

3 *am i able to select which fields appear on the website and which remain hidden, visible only in the database itself to me?
    1 * mySQL is suitable for your needs, as is PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, ... The first two are free, the rest not. But they do come in a limited free version. Even the limited free versions are suitable for your needs.

Just look with what database WebStudio5 works best with and for what WebStudio5/database-combination you find a lot of information, tutorials, ... Use that one. Also look at what your web host provides.

2 * You can produce XML-data directly from those databases, but I find the syntax confusing and rigid, leading to unmaintainable code. That is for complex XML schemas, it works well for simple schemas though. For complex schemas we prefer to program the XML generation ourselves.

3 * That is more a question that you will have to ask to a WebStudio5 forum. But the answer will undoubtedly be 'yes', by using "roles".
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

thanks again there Wim.

i will download mySQL today and try to take a good look at it.

the reason i would use XML feeds is simply because property portals which i advertise on (inSpain, Kyero, rightmove etc) all take the XML feeds to directly and easily upload the properties.

again, appreciate your input.

have posted this in the mySQL forum too but just incase someone here can help me:

i guess i must have downloaded the wrong thing, this is the link i used:

MySQL :: Download MySQL Community Server

i downloaded the 64 bit msi installer.

however after installation and configuration all i can find is mySQL Command Line Client, which when opened just looks like a DOS command screen.

either i dont know how to open the actual database programme or i have downloaded the completely wrong thing.

would appreciate a pointer or two, thanks!

Provided Answers: 1
    If you have MySQL specific questions, it would be better to post them in the MySQL forum. Would you like me to move this thread for you?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

yes you can do thank you

for me it was you get nothing for free

hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    Progaming environment:
    MYLE

Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by myle View Post
    for me it was you get nothing for free
    • ... complete db beginner ...
    • ... i am looking to create a database for my business website. ..
    • ... i haven't worked with databases before ...
    When your website is a critical application for your business, those three statements are a dangerous combination.

I can program SQL queries to give you data in any list you want, but I don't have the skill to present it in such a way that it becomes a pleasure to read it, like web designers and layouters can.

You need a few different skills to make a website a pleasant experience for your visitors/clients: logical GUI-design, pleasant layout, technical foundation (speed, correct functioning, ...) , ...

I've heard some go to a school, and present their problem as a (multi-disciplinary) project for last year students, to get things done in a cheap way.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

thanks wim. website design is part of what i do and presents no problem for me at all.

creating the database and getting whatever code i need from it to go into the website is what is wrecking my head at the moment!

thank you (all of you who replied) for your help anyway.