Unanswered: Updating table from calculated fields on a form

Hi all, first time poster here.

I'm writing a customer orders database, where I have a series of forms. I have an 'Orders' form which contains a number of calculations, which takes calculations from other forms to give Grand Totals. For example:

=Sum([OrderLineSubTotal]) - this totals all of the sub totals for each Order Line (where a customer orders more than one product on the same order)

Then,

=[Orders Subform].[Form]![OrderSubtotal] - This formula takes the total from the previous calculation and displays this on the form.

My problem now is how to update the related table with this calculated info. I have a 'Save Order' button on my form which writes all other form elements to the table, but not any calculated fields. From research, it looks like I may need to do the following:

1) Create an update query that takes the new data from the form and writes it to the appropriate record on the table
    2) Trigger that update query via a command button on the form

My question is, how do I do 1 & 2 above?!?!

All replies greatly appreciated.
    MES

Provided Answers: 14
    It's again all good practices to store a computed value into a table. Sooner or later this always leads to data inconsistency.

If you really want to do that, you can build a dynamic query (assemble a SQL statement using VBA) and have it executed (Currentdb.Execute strSQL). Triggers do not exist in Access.
    Have a nice day!

Thanks for the reply. So you wouldn't advise that I calculate the values on the form, but in the table itself? If so, would this be done by a query?

Provided Answers: 59
    No
    Yes
    ..for the reasons mentioned in post #2

there are reasons to store calculated data (usually related to performance ie you cna't get the query to return the results in an appropriate time, or the information is required for other purposes elsewhere), but these do not apply in this case
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Sorry, maybe I am not understanding this correctly. So the calculation should be performed in the table?

Provided Answers: 14
    No: Calculations should be performed by the query, using data from the table, but the results of the calculations (the computed values) should not be stored in a table.

Ex. 1) Table1:
    Column_A (numeric)
    Column_B (numeric)

2) Query1:
    SQL = "SELECT Column_A, Column_B, Column_A + Column_B AS SumAB FROM Table1;"

3) Form1: RecordSource = "Query1"
    Text_A (TextBox): ControlSource = "Column_A"
    Text_B (TextBox): ControlSource = "Column_B"
    Text_SumAB (TextBox): ControlSource = "SumAB"
    Have a nice day!

Thanks Sinndho, I shall try this. One question though - I will eventually want to produce reports using queries based on some of the calculated values. If these are not stored anywhere, how will that be possible?

Provided Answers: 19
    You simply re-run the calculations, in the queries, when needed.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007