Unanswered: Filter form based on field contents

Below is a piece of the code I am using for a search command button (cmdsearch) but I want to filter the results on my form so that records without contents in the couponcode field of my table (Contacttable.couponcode) will not be listed in the search results. I can't figure out what code to insert here with the current code I have. Thanks ahead of time.

Dim strwhere As String
    Dim lnglen As Long

If Not IsNull(Me.srchtxtlastname) Then
    strwhere = strwhere & "([Lastname] = """ & Me!srchtxtlastname & """) AND"
    End If

Provided Answers: 6
    Is this what you're after?

strwhere = strwhere & "([Lastname] = """ & Me!srchtxtlastname & """) AND couponcode Is Not Null"
    Paul

nope didn't work. Here is what my code looks like after typing in your suggestion:

Dim strwhere As String
    Dim lnglen As Long

strwhere = strwhere & "([Lastname] = """ & Me!srchtxtlastname & """) AND Couponcode Is Not Null AND "
    End If

If Not IsNull(Me.srchtxtfirstname) Then
    strwhere = strwhere & "([Firstname] = """ & Me!srchtxtfirstname & """) AND Couponcode Is Not Null AND "
    End If

If Not IsNull(Me.srchtxtemail) Then
    strwhere = strwhere & "([Email] = """ & Me!srchtxtemail & """) AND Couponcode Is Not Null AND "
    End If

If Not IsNull(Me.srchtxtphone) Then
    strwhere = strwhere & "([Phone] = """ & Me!srchtxtphone & """) AND Couponcode Is Not Null AND "
    End If

lnglen = Len(strwhere) - 5
    If lnglen <= 0 Then
    MsgBox "No criteria", vbInformation, "Nothing to do."
    Me.cmdregister.Enabled = False
    Else
    strwhere = Left$(strwhere, lnglen)
    Me.cmdregister.Enabled = True
    End If

What exactly does "didn't work" mean? You'd only want it once in the criteria, so I'd add it after the others. Also, you don't actually use the SQL for anything in that code.
    Paul

I found this code on the internet and am using it so I can use a button to search records bases on what is typed into each textbox [Lastname] [Firstname] [Email] [Phone]. I would like for the search to only return customers who have not used a coupon so I want to exclude them in the search results. When I used the code you gave me those customers who have used a coupon still show up in my search results.

Do you ever use strwhere? Based on the code posted, you build a string but never do anything with it.
    Paul

Here the full fledged code. I use the string as a filter toward the bottom of the code here:

Private Sub cmdsearch_Click()

Dim strwhere As String
    Dim lnglen As Long

strwhere = strwhere & "([Lastname] = """ & Me!srchtxtlastname & """) AND Grouponcode Is Not Null AND "
    End If

If Not IsNull(Me.srchtxtfirstname) Then
    strwhere = strwhere & "([Firstname] = """ & Me!srchtxtfirstname & """) AND Grouponcode Is Not Null AND "
    End If

If Not IsNull(Me.srchtxtemail) Then
    strwhere = strwhere & "([Email] = """ & Me!srchtxtemail & """) AND Grouponcode Is Not Null AND "
    End If

If Not IsNull(Me.srchtxtphone) Then
    strwhere = strwhere & "([Phone] = """ & Me!srchtxtphone & """) AND Grouponcode Is Not Null AND "
    End If

lnglen = Len(strwhere) - 5
    If lnglen <= 0 Then
    MsgBox "No criteria", vbInformation, "Nothing to do."
    Me.cmdregister.Enabled = False
    Else
    strwhere = Left$(strwhere, lnglen)
    Me.cmdregister.Enabled = True
    End If

Me.Filter = strwhere
    Me.FilterOn = True

Again, I wouldn't have it in every line, I'd just add it at the end. Also, I'm confused because you said "records without contents in the couponcode field...will not be listed in the search results", which would be the Is Not Null. Recently you said "I would like for the search to only return customers who have not used a coupon", which would imply you want records where that field is null. Take the coupon field out of all the other lines and see if this works:

strwhere = Left$(strwhere, lnglen) & " AND Couponcode Is Null"

Also just noticed that you originally said "Couponcode" but your last code has "Grouponcode". Which is it?
    Paul

Oops my mistake it is supposed to be coupon code. I will try this out and get back to you. thanks in the meantime

OK i took the code out of each line and inserted it where you suggested and the search is still showing customers who have a coupon code. The table I am using has the following fields: Lastname, Firstname, Email, Phone, Couponcode.

If a customer's records is Null for the Couponcode then I do want those customers to show up in the search results. If the Record is Not Null (aka. has a coupon code in the field) then I do not want them to show up in the results.

Can you post the db, or a representative sample?
    Paul