Unanswered: Creating a new View combing columns

Dear all,

I'm fairly new to SQL.

I have created a new view (nominal_narratives), which contains three columns (dbo.nominal_narratives.narr, dbo.nominal_narratives.nt_seqnum and dbo.nominal_narratives.nt_accode).

Within my database I also have a table (axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn) which contains the following columns (axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_addesc, axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_trdesc and axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_seqnum).

What I have been struggling to do is create a new View which needs to combine the 'narr' column in the nominal_narratives table with the 'nt_trdesc' column in the axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn table. Both these columns are text and are linked by the 'nt_seqnum' columns in both tables.

The problem I have faced is that some transactions have a seqnum in the axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn table but not in the nominal_narratives View. This is highlighted by the axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_addesc column which contains Y (for yes) and N (for no) and this indicates whether or not there is additional text in dbo.nominal_narratives.narr.

All transactions will have a seqnum in axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_seqnum and text in axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_trdesc but many will also have a matching seqnum in dbo.nominal_narratives.nt_seqnum along with text in dbo.nominal_narratives.narr where axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_addesc column = 'Y'.

When combining the two tables myself I have found that if the axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_addesc column = N then the data is excluded all together when joining the axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_trdesc and dbo.nominal_narratives.narr columns.

In very basic terms (I told you I was new to SQL!) I think I need a statement which does the following:

IF axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_addesc = 'N' THEN just show axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_trdesc, BUT IF axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_addesc = 'Y' THEN show RTRIM(axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_trdesc) + NEW LINE + dbo.nominal_narratives.narr WHERE axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_seqnum = dbo.nominal_narratives.nt_seqnum, AS Description.

This new column can be called 'Description'.

Also, this data will be placed into Excel (and wrapped) when created. Is it possible to add a 'new line' function between axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_trdesc and dbo.nominal_narratives.narr IF axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn.nt_addesc = 'Y'?

When created I am hoping to have a new View which will contain nt_seqnum from axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn and Description.

Hope this makes sense as I have started to confuse myself.

Thanking you all in advanced and please feel free to ask any questions.

Provided Answers: 4
    Try this:
    Code:
    CREATE VIEW NewView AS
    SELECT narr, 
    	nt_addesc,
    	CASE WHEN NM.nt_addesc = 'N' THEN nt_trdesc
    		WHEN NM.nt_addesc = 'Y' THEN RTRIM(NM.nt_trdesc) + CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + V.narr
    		ELSE NULL
    	END AS Description,
    	RTRIM(nt_trdesc) + COALESCE(CHAR(13) + CHAR(10) + V.narr, '') as Description2,
    	nt_seqnum
    FROM axxia01.dbo.nmnomtrn as NM
    	LEFT OUTER JOIN nominal_narratives as V ON
    		NM.nt_seqnum = V.nt_seqnum
    I didn't know if nt_addesc can have a value other than 'Y' or 'N'.
    I have provided two ways to generate Description.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Thanks ever so much Wim.

This worked very well except for one minor error.

This statement appears to be inputing two new lines so when i wrap the text in Excel I get nt_trdesc on a separate line as I requested but there is a small box after narr indicating two new lines.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Provided Answers: 4
    Play around with the query by including only CHAR(10) or CHAR(13) (and not both) and see how Excel reacts on it.

*nix expects linebreaks in the 'LF' (CHAR(13)) format, while Windows expects them in the 'CRLF' format. So it surprises me a bit that Excel has problems with it.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Provided Answers: 54
    *nix does expect LF, but that is actually Char(10).

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.