Unanswered: Problem with '&' character, not able to update ID in SQL table from front end

Hi all,

In my code, i have a ProductID which contains '&' character like "pen&pencil".I tried to update this as "pen&paper" from front end into database.But,database doesn't accept this changes..it remains as "pen&pencil"..Actually,I have created stored procedure for "update" and calling that in my code behind file.From front-end form , i'm entering new value and trying to update it. My code for update is as below -

@ProductID char(15),

@NewProductID char(15) = NULL,

Update ProductTable SET ProductID = @NewProductID WHERE ProductID = @ProductID

Please help me out.

Thanks in advance,

Teena

Provided Answers: 11
    You may need to escape the '&' character. In most languages, it would appear as "pen\&paper".

Code behind sounds like you are talking about ASP.Net. Assuming this is the case you are probably passing "pen&pencil" in the querystring.

For query strings "&" is a reserved token in that it is used to separate values eg. a query string looks like...

http://someapp.com/test.aspx?title=mytitle&quantity=45

So if you break it up you get a title field with the value mytitle and a quantity field with 45.

If you look at you example you will have something like

http://someapp.com/test.aspx?title=p...il&quantity=45

So you would have a title field with pen and a quantity field with 45.

To get around this you need to use URL encoding on your values. With will change the "&" into a character sequence that is used to represent the value.