Unanswered: Install an app that uses MS SQL Server

Hi all,

I need some help with my assignment in school or, rather, a suggestion. Here is what we have to do:

"Using the Internet, please locate a software application that can use MS SQL Server 2008 as its data source. There are many examples out there on the internet, and they range from helpdesk tools, to contact management applications and wiki document libraries. Look for demo or trial software that you won’t have to pay for. Install your selection on your test system that you’ve been using so far in class. Ensure that you follow the application’s documentation, and that it connects successfully to MS SQL Server, and is otherwise operational."

I'm just looking for some suggestions as to software that might be good for this. I would prefer something open source, if possible. Also, we're using SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition.

Provided Answers: 4
    I think Drupal works on SQL Server and TikiWiki. But you will notice that the primal database they work on will be MySql (or PostgreSQL).

Microsoft has not been famous to cooperate with open source of follow open standards. So it is understandable open source projects don't go out of their way to make their programs work with Microsoft products.

Just Google for "10 best ...." and most likely, some of them will work with SQL Server. Perhaps you will be more lucky with .Net open source projects.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

The Bottom of The Barrel
    Provided Answers: 1
    There are a metric ass ton of open source MS projects. MS is becoming famous for cooperating with open source and adopting open standards.

Grab anything off codeplex with and mssql as requirements.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks to both of you for responding. Much appreciated.