Unanswered: Large database change

Hi,

I am working with a large Oracle database in my current job. According to my manager, our team is not allowed to touch the database except through the GUI. So today he asked me to make a change to a couple of fields for certain records. I did a query on the database and found 1200 records that needed to be changed. In terms of the GUI, that is 2 checkboxes in 600 screens.

I realize that making a change through the backend could cause some issues, but this field seems pretty isolated. If there was a way I could check exactly which tables were getting updated when I click the checkbox that might help (in case there are more than what I am assuming).

I'm sure people have encountered things like this in the real world, and maybe this is the wrong place to ask (I'm also going to try to see if our software vendor has any suggestions). But is this crazy to have to update so many screens manually? I think so, but I am new to this database stuff...

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, because I'm kinda old and I don't want to end up with carpal tunnel from clicking all these checkboxes.

Provided Answers: 4
    What GUI is it? Your application (I mean, the one you (or someone else) wrote), or SQL Developer, TOAD or similar tool used to access the database?

As far as I can tell: if it is "your" application (and you don't have access to the source), I think that there's no way to find out what changes are made to the database when you click that checkbox (not only that checkbox values are changed, but they may trigger some other changes).

But, if it is a tool like TOAD, then - from my point of view - it doesn't really matter whether you do the update by "clicking" checkbox by checkbox in a "table browser" (which is sloooow) or write an UPDATE statement (which would do that instantly).

As a matter of fact, the latter could be done in SQL*Plus so - no GUI is needed.

I agree, manual setting is kind of stupid. That's why people invented faster ways (such as an UPDATE statement) so ... try to convince your manager that this IS the right way to do the job. I'm sure he can use your knowledge in a better way than forcing you to click the same checkbox 1200 times.

Hi Littlefoot,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I forgot to say that this GUI I refer to is a 3rd party software application that is used for a particular business function and uses certain tables in the database. So, yeah, no access to the source. I thought there might be a way to tell which tables I had most recently modified when I check the box. I guess my other option is to talk to the vendor and see if they have any suggestions, or can at least tell me how the checkbox will affect the database. Gah, this is horrible.