Question Unanswered: Data Transfer from one server to another

I have two servers with SQL Server 2008 installed on it. I need to take backup at the end of the day from one server to another. Which is the easy way to accomplish the task.

Provided Answers: 54
    You've asked a VERY general question, so any answer I could post would be trivial. Please describe in a bit more detail what you want to accomplish and what your challenges are.

Do you want to "clone" the databases so that each server has a "last night" snapshot of the databases on the other server? Do you just want to copy the backup files so that if you lose one server you can still recover its data? Do you need reporting/alerting/etc or just an idiot copy of the backup files?

Help us help you by being more specific about what you have now and what you hope to have once you are done!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Data Transfer

• Yes, at the end of the day I would like to "clone" the databases so that each server has a "last night" snapshot of the databases on the other server.

• In case the main server crashes, how can I retrieve the data on that server prior to the crash.

What you want is Log Shipping

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by satishmen66 View Post
    Which is the easy way to accomplish the task.
    See I was just gonna say: ask your dba"

Or don't you have one?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Question Log Shipping

After the log files are copied to the secondary server, will the data modified/appended reflect on the actual tables.
    In case the primary server has failed and I have the log file backup on the secondary server, how can I restore data in the log file.

When using log shipping, you actually apply the log files as they are received. Each backup (full or log) is restored as it is received, so the destination database is as current as the most recently applied backup file.

-PatP

Question Log Shipping

Can Log shipping be enabled to execute while the users are using the database. I have a scenario, where users use the system from 8 am till 5 pm. I would like Log shipping to execute frequently so that the destination server is up to date and I do not lose any data. When log shipping is active and users are using the system, will the system be slow.
    Last edited by satishmen66; 05-19-11 at 14:49.

The BACKUP side of Log Shipping will happily run while users are in the source database, but the RESTORE side of Log Shipping will not run if anyone is in the destination database. The impact of Log Shipping depends on many things (mostly on having adequate hardware and correctly configured software), so there isn't a good way for me to answer that question for you.

-PatP