I am half hour log backups scheduled. My problem is as following
    Suppose I take a backup in following sequence
    6:00 Full backup
    6:30 log backup
    7:00 log backup
    7:30 log backup
    8:00 log backup
    8:30 log backup

Now I do recovery using until time up to 7:45.
    My question is, is it possible in Sybase to do recovery from 7:45 to 8:15 only? In db2 we can do it.
    Last edited by shreedhar_tase; 05-20-11 at 08:04.

39 views and not a single reply ?? Does it possible at all in Sybase?

Provided Answers: 4
    It is possible, but I'd have to look up the details of this Point In Time Recovery in the documentation.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

thanks for replying. Please let me know once you find it. Or if you can point me to any links/pdfs/docs which you think can solve my issue, then that will be great.

Provided Answers: 4
    Sybase has an extensive collection of documentation. I'm sure there's somethign in it you can use.
    Sybase.com >> Support >> Product Documentation >> ASE >> search for appropiate version, and look for the chapters on recovery/point in time recovery.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

YOu question is a bit unclear. If your requirement is to recover the data upto 8:15
    then you can load the full dump and the apply the tran dumps till 8:00 and then you can apply the tran last tran dump taken on 8:30 using until time option

Syntax is load tran <db_name> from <tran dump file name> with until_time=<the time till when youi need the database to be loaded>

Please follow the below link for more information

SyBooks Online

Quote Originally Posted by ishu.cs View Post
    YOu question is a bit unclear. If your requirement is to recover the data upto 8:15
    then you can load the full dump and the apply the tran dumps till 8:00 and then you can apply the tran last tran dump taken on 8:30 using until time option

Syntax is load tran <db_name> from <tran dump file name> with until_time=<the time till when youi need the database to be loaded>

Please follow the below link for more information

SyBooks Online
    What you have mentioned is correct my question is as follows
    Lets say I did recovery up to 8:15 using 'until time ' clause. Now Suppose I want to do recovery from 8:15 to 8:25 with out following whole procedure (full +log recovery). Is there any way in Sybase for doing that?

I dont thik u can do so..
    once u have made the db online then u canot apply tha transaction dump, u just have to load the full dump and then the consecutive dumps..
    hope i am not wrong...

Hope fully u wil not be allowed to load the same transaction dump twice...
    Here in your scanario u will have to load the transaction dump genrated by 8.30 AM twice,which will not be allowed, so you have to go with whole procedure (full +log recovery)

Its not possible in sybase, what I understand is that you had recovered the database till 7:45 using until time option, now you want to move forward from this point and want to recover the database till 8:15, that's not possible in sybase.
    You have to start from full backup load at 6 PM, load the tran dumps till 8:00, then load 8:30 transaction using untill time option.

Quote Originally Posted by shreedhar_tase View Post
    Hi
    I am half hour log backups scheduled. My problem is as following
    Suppose I take a backup in following sequence
    6:00 Full backup
    6:30 log backup
    7:00 log backup
    7:30 log backup
    8:00 log backup
    8:30 log backup

Now I do recovery using until time up to 7:45.
    My question is, is it possible in Sybase to do recovery from 7:45 to 8:15 only? In db2 we can do it.