Red face Unanswered: Can i transfer users and user logins using GUI ?

Hiii,

Im not an sql expert or somethng nd im not so familiar with sql queries and commands . i backed up one of my database in the server machine and i restored it into the sql server in a stand alone pc.Now i need to transfer those users and user logins from that database in the server machine to the stand alone PC's database which i copied.How can i do that?I dont know about quaries and commands in sql . Is there a GUI like feature,so that i can do that without using the sql commands . Help me guys.... Plz

Wink

Is this another way of doing it....like generating a script file for users,permissions and user logins and then importing it to the same database that has been copied to the other computer.Will it work?? What do u think guys?? Will those users work on that copied database as well??

Kailasan , the database users will be transfered when you move the database. i.e the database users are stored in the database.
    Every database user is associated to a SQl server login account. you may be refering to sql server login accounts .
    there are different ways of transfering the sql server logins. one way is to use the SSMS - and there is a save sql server logins. This will generate a script - copy & past the script onto the other SQL Server
    ---------------------------------
    www.sqlserver-dba.com
    www.dba-db2.com

Smile

Hello jack,

Thank u so much for ur kind reply Jack.Let me tell u my situation,see my company uses a database in my server machine named sadepths through an ERP software named Infinity.What i am trying to do is to have a copy of that database to a standalone pc which is to be taken to a store outside of my company.Some of the users of that database in our company shall visit the stores and work with it.I was wondering if i copy that database to the standalone pc along with user logins ,so that they can work on the standalone pc using the copied database and later on i can implement a transactional replication to update data to my company server machine using a vpn connection.Do u have any suggestions for a better method of doing this jack?Do u think the same users can login to the copied database using that ERP software?

Bytheway,i use sql server 2000 enterprise edition sp4.I did restore that database to the standalone pc and i entered the database into the ERP software. I can see the users under the database in enterprise manager but when i enter the database into the erp software i cant find any users under the database .Even the sa username password doesnot log me in .Im confused

On the standalone PC - could you confirm that you've restored the database to a sql server - and that through the SSMS you can connect to the database?Can you connect to the database server as "sa" ? For now , forget about the Infinity.So we can troubleshoot -
    ---------------------------------
    www.sqlserver-dba.com
    www.dba-db2.com

Thumbs up

Yes ,im sure i restored the database ,as i backed up the database file in the server ,then i copied it to the d: drive in my stand alone pc and i restored it by giving the same destination path on the d: drive . I can see the database on the sql instance on the stand alone pc.On the path in the d: drive i can see the data and log files also.

How can i connect to the database using SSMS and using "sa"?Im using sql server 2000 on both machines.Icouldnt find this SSMS(sql server management studio)hope thats what u mean by SSMS.You dont mean enterprise manager,do u?And how can i check the connectivity to the database with "sa"?

I know im asking too much questions but im not much familiar with sql commands and queries .Sorry for the trouble
    Last edited by Kailasan; 05-22-11 at 11:06. Reason: not enough details