Thread: I/O question

Unanswered: I/O question

What's the difference between random, sequential, synchronous, and asynchronous I/O?

Can some one help me please?

Hi,

random and sequential is how is data read from the disk. Is the data read sequentially from disk or not?

DB2 uses prefetching to read from disk before it is needed by the query. So the query doesn't have to wait for disk I/O. That's asynchronous I/O.
    With synchronous I/O the has to wait till the pages are read from the disk.

This relates to reads and writes. An example of a sequential write is a write to a log file on a dedicated drive . The writes are written in order , one after the other.
    In contrast a random write . Another example is Bulk Insert .
    In contrast a random write , is an OLTP write (which can also be a sequential write depending on the DML)

asynchronous IO vs. synchronous is also available at the OS kernel level: with asynchronous IO, you just tell the kernel to write a block of data to some file. Control returns immediately to the application and it doesn't wait until the kernel made some sort of guarantees that the write succeeded. (You would have to poll whether the write operation has already finished.) Similar things apply to read operations.

The advantage of asynchronous IO is that the application is not blocked, waiting for the IO operation to finish. So it can do other things in the mean time.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development