Unanswered: Need skconfig.exe or skconfig.com file!

I need a single DOS executable or com file.

Iíve spent nearly 20 hours trying to fix my simple (and simply frustrating) problem.

If anyone can help, please reply.

I simply need a configuration file (either skconfig.com, or, maybe skconfig.exe - I donít know the exact file extension) for Sidekick 2.0 for DOS, which is a Borland/Paradox calendaring program using Paradox 3.5 data files.

I own the Sidekick 2.0 program. I have the DOS installation disks. My problem is that the installation disks are on 720mb disks. My external USB disk drive cannot read 720mb disks for some odd reason. I cannot get the necessary configuration file from my floppy disks. Online download sites (like Vetusware and others) claim to have downloadable copies of Sidekick 2.0, but the links are either dead, or worse, turn out not to be Sidekick programs after all.

The particular file I need (skconfig.com, or, skconfig.exe) is used to configure Sidekick 2.0 for a network. Iíve been using Sidekick 2.0 without a network since the stone ages.

I recently had to install VMWare to virtualize XP to run a few old 16-bit DOS programs using folders shared with the host, Windows 7 64-bit (which wonít run 16 bit DOS programs).

Please know that DOSBox is not an option for reasons I donít want to get into.

In short, the Sidekick 2.0 Calendar program runs nicely under the XP (VM), but Sidekick cannot access shared folders or data from the host (Windows 7 64 bit), and more, the Sidekick error message tells me to re-configure Sidekick 2.0 to run on a network, by using the skconfig configuration program, which I cannot access on my floppies.

I also own Paradox 4.0 and 4.5 for DOS. I can access the installation disks for these Paradox programs. Perhaps these Paradox DOS programs have some sort of equivalent configuration file (equivalent to skconfig.com/exe) that would configure Sidekick 2.0 for a network? If so, Iím clueless how to use such Paradox programs to configure Sidekick. As it is, I cannot manually edit, nor otherwise configure Sidekick 2.0 for a network, nor even point the Sidekick program to the paradox.net file used by Paradox 4.5 on this same network (which is working fine on this VM-to-Win 7 network).

I think the easiest solution is simply to get one copy of a single program file (skconfig.com/exe) and give it a try.

Or, maybe my DOS Paradox files have a program file that could do the trick? But, how?

Cheers,

Jim

first, and primary.. long-term use of the 3.5 table format under ANY version of Windows will result in deep-seated file damage.. if it hasn't bit you yet, it will..

second.. relying on PdoxDOS 4.x on these modern Windows platforms, except for personal use, is also VERY foolish, because there's no serious support left..

no, there's no Sidekick stuff in PdoxDOS 4.x.. no, even I don't have any Sidekick stuff around, that I know of..

finally, isn't is really easier to just use another calendar app? yes, there's a start-up curve, but something of that nature is usually too important, on a daily basis, to rely on something 20 years old, with no support..

I know it's not the answer you want..
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Steve Green, thanks, and ...

Steve Green, thanks!

Thanks too for your labors over the years on your website offering Paradox stuff and tips.

I had a consult and a few informal contacts with Prestwood maybe six years ago because Iíve accumulated over 28,000 case files across nearly 30 years, that is, document and data files using WordPerfect and its office programs. Iím far from a tech, but I collaborated on the end-user design-side nightmare in a three year project in the early 80's to automate the largest law firm in the U.S., then using dBase II and III with a compiler, and after that, a migration into Paradox and the-then legal-office friendly WordPerfect.

My current work integrates three separate professional disciplines, and so, my professional record-keeping codes, using many-to-many relationships, are custom designed codes, created piecemeal in lego-like building block fashion across 35 years of practice. I sincerely thank you for your good and true advice, but Iím too near retirement to suffer any youthful romantic inclinations to migrate blobs and blobs of data to another program, no less an entire suite.

Iíll just sit here and eat worms!

I still use the dinosaur, Sidekick 2.0 and its Paradox 3.5 format, only for the highly limited purpose of extremely quick contemporaneous time journal sketches of daily contacts on the fly, and then, I go back at the end of the day and enter really hard-core professional charting data in Paradox 10, using a database design borrowed from ďEclipse.Ē I havenít really noticed the data deterioration that you mention, not in my Sidekick 2.0 files, running under Windows versions, going back to Win 3.11 Workstation.

Divine Providence? Or, less-than-sublime ignorance on my part? A little of both?

My serious database stuff doesnít rise or fall on Sidekick. Sidekickís just a blazing-fast, quick-entry tool, for on-the-fly contemporaneous time entries, leaving redundant narrative records to WordPerfect.

Steve, I donít know about you, but I feel that the gradual and steady decline of the Corel WP Professional Suites across recent versions (I just today returned X5 Professional for a refund) is like the loss of an old, dear friend.

Itís simply unthinkable that the once-best word processor and the once-best database program in the world never attained a lasting integration, and worse, that the office suite as a suite, plus its individual component programs have suffered degradation, decline, and nearly unethical neglect.

I agree with the egg-heady analysis of the Columbia University professor who still says that WordPerfect 6.0/6.2 for DOS is the word processor of choice for heavy lifting. And it sure can look that way today by comparing WP and Paradox for DOS to the CPM days of WordStar, CalcStar, and DataStar! Hey, if I had a Model-T, Iíd drive it! Donít know how far Iíd get in a NASCAR, race, but Iíd drive that baby! After all, some guys still play with Legos instead of PlayStation.

In truth, Iíve been a hopeless romantic, hope-sick on WP and Paradox glory days, hoping against hope, since the Novell days -- hoping with each new suite, that better days will come. And even if Corel pulled off the miracle stunt of updating all programs equally across the office suite, along with the double miracle of re-attaining the technical and useful superiority the suite once held over Microsoft Office, even then, the mere marketing lag and time-warp of regaining popular market appeal might be impossible to overcome. I think Corel knows this. But, to use recent IT marketing lingo, what are Goliaths like Microsoft for, if not for an army of small-Davids, like Corel (maybe better, Open Source)?

Alas!

Thanks again for your reply. Bad news for me. Worse, I say, for Corel.

Just curious Ė what about the Open Office database, and/or, Postgre?

Thanks again,

Jim

(p.s., hmm, letís see, according to my Sidekick/Paradox 3.5 journal entry, this response took 13:41 minutes, or, as exported from Sidekick into ASCI by Paradox 4.5, the entry reads, ď0,5/23/2011,"13:41",14,1,5/23/2011,0,0,0,0,1,"Green, Steve - thanks for online Paradox a/o","2011ELAJ").

After all, some guys still play with Legos instead of PlayStation

yes, I know all about that
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too