Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Any reason why my Database runs slow on one computer but no on others?

We have a database that we use in the office, the database is split to a backend and a front end, only a maximum of 4 users use the database concurrently. Over the past one month the database on my computer runs extremely slow when the same database runs fast on other 3 computers. Each user has their own front ends but it is the same front end with different names on each user's computer. I also deleted my front end and pasted another users front end but I still get the same problem. It is so slow that it is extremely frustrating. All other things on the server runs very fast and it is only the database.

The database has many forms, tables and queries but I don’t know what has happened suddenly that the db only runs slow on my very computer.

We have Symantec End Point Protection as our antivirus and I am sure that is not causing this.

Any advice on what could be the problems and any solution would be highly appreciated.
    Emi-UK
    Love begets Love, Help Begets Help

Do you use a persistant connection? Microsoft Access Performance FAQ
    It might also be a permissions issue.
    RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro
    Please reply to this forum so all may learn.

do they all have identical hardware specs? OS and RAM?
    www CahabaData com

Hi, RuralGuy,
    Yes, all pcs are connected to the server using wires (ethernet)

Hi NTC,
    3 computers have windows 7 but with different RAM. however, my very computer has enough memory and space that should be able to run the DB as fast as other PCs.
    My computer has 103 GB free space and it has 1 GB installed memory.
    Emi-UK

Persistant Connection is described in the link I provided. It is not wires. Is your machine WinXP?
    RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro

Sorry for that. No, my machine is windows 7. It used to be windows xp but I had formatted and reinstalled windows 7 to be able to work with the server
    Emi-UK

1 GB of Ram is pretty low for Win7! I believe it needs at least 2 GB to run effectively.

find yourself a nice big file - 150M or more. The more the better.

then put it on the slow PC's c:....and do a plain old copy/paste of that file to the same place where the Access BE sits.....and time it with your watch as to how long it takes to transfer that file.

repeat for one or more of the fast PC's

if the slow PC is noticeably slower on this test - then you know it isn't an Access issue; maybe RAM, network, security - or a combination of all three.....I would say that is the hunch of me & RuralGuy as you probably can tell.....cause Access rarely behaves differently on its own....

such a simple test goes a long way in convincing the networking staff that it isn't the database's fault......have had to use it myself on occasions....
    www CahabaData com

OK, I have just copied and pasted a 441MB file from the server and pasted it in the folder where the BE sits. From slow PC to paste the file to the server it took 1:56:56 and from another PC to paste to the same location it took 1:26:58
    Emi-UK

so its 25% slower. its a hint but not conclusive. but its something.

now try a small file. the reason is perhaps it is the initial handshaking delay - rather than the actual transfer rate. a small file will tend to flush this aspect out....see if as a percentage the slow guy is alot slower....

don't mean to send you on a wild goose chase but it is probably still the platform if all Access elements are the same....

if still inconclusive - you may consider running the ethernet cord to one of the other's network connection to see if that makes any difference or not...
    www CahabaData com

Hi, I have cut and pasted a 12 mb file and both computers took exactly 00:24:07. So no difference.
    Emi-UK

the small file size would have stressed the set up/handshaking & security - and that seems fine.

the large file size would have stressed the network & hardware - - at that was 25% slower; which is contributing but not conclusive.

delete the FE. bring over an FE that is from one of the other PCs.

beyond that I tend only to see PCs slower that have less RAM. Am not enough of a PC junky to get into page cache sizing or any of that. may be end of the road.....
    www CahabaData com

Dear NTC,
    Thank you for all your responses so far, I have already copied and pasted front ends of from other PCs and I still get the same issue. Do you think by increasing the RAM size will help the speed or could anything else be causing this as well?
    Emi-UK

well if you go into any big electronics store your basic off-the-shelf PCs now are Win7 with 4G RAM.

and often a 1G RAM stick is like $20 and probably a simple plugin - - so if your machine per an earlier post is only 1G now - - - then there isn't much downside at all to add more RAM and I would think it really would help. ...

of course the issue that only Access is slow - and not everything - still kind of bugs me...
    www CahabaData com

Dear NTC,
    As suggested, I have upgraded the RAM to 2GB as it only allowed a maximum of 2 GB and it is still as slow as before. No difference in the way this particular database runs on my computer. All other files on the networked as accessed fairly quickly and with no delay but the database is very slow. I even delted this whole FRONT END and pasted another users on my computer but it is still slow. Any suggestion woudl be highly appreciated.
    Emi-UK