Unanswered: Copy all data in one column to another in the same table Using VBA

I have a table (costsettest) for ingredients & cost ID, Ing_Code, Description, 97, once a month we update the costs but need to keep the old costs to reference back to.

I have figured out how to insert a new column via VBA that increments the number so now I have a column 97 & 98, 99..... but I also need the values to be copyed into the 98 column.

CurrentDb.Execute ("ALTER TABLE Costsettest ADD " & strField & " Number;")

Is there a way to also copy the values from the 97 column while creating the new column (field) or after the column(field) is created a simple way to copy & paste all the values from column 97 to column 98, using VBA.

I can open up the table select the entire column 97 click copy & then paste this into column 98 but cannot see how to do this via VBA.

Please help not done much programing before & Im going mad here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Access Help.JPG  

Provided Answers: 14
    You can use
    Code:
    UPDATE Costsettest SET <NewColumn> = <OldColumn>
    Then
    Code:
    UPDATE Costsettest SET <OldColumn> = Null
    Have a nice day!

Thanks for your Help this works

UPDATE CostSettest SET CostSettest.[98] = [97];

Now this works is there a way to set the [98] & [97] from a global variable, I have a global variable called =selected_Cost_Set() & =selected_Cost_Set2()that has a number value in it i.e. 98 which will increment every month, is there a way to add this variable into the SQL Query.

Many Thanks.

Provided Answers: 14
    You could use:
    Code:
    CurrentDb.Execute ("UPDATE CostSettest SET CostSettest.[" & GlobalVariable & "] = [97];"
    Have a nice day!