Unanswered: pcc error btrieve error 46

Hello,

I would like to modify a table in pcc and i receive the error "pcc error btrieve error 46". I don't know exactly how Pervasive is configured regarding the security.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jeff

(sorry for my bad english)

Provided Answers: 4
    The status 46 means:
    46: Access to the requested file is denied
    The MicroKernel returns this status code for the following reasons:
    • The application opened a file in Read-only mode and tried to perform a Write operation on that file.
    • The application attempted to perform a Write operation on a file that is flagged read-only by the operating system.
    • When the application opened the file, it did not correctly specify the owner name required for updates.
    • (Workgroup engine only) If a Workgroup engine user or task opens a file that a client machine has opened using a server MicroKernel, the MicroKernel returns this status code if the Workgroup engine user attempts to write to the file.
    • (9.x and higher engines only) The application attempted to perform a Write operation on a 5.x format file. When using a 9.x or higher engine, you cannot perform a write operation such as insert or delete on a 5.x format file.
    Normally when the status 46 occurs with newer engines, it is because the file format is v5.x. Rebuild the file using the Rebuild Utility.
    You also will not be able to modify the system tables through the PCC.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I use a software who is link to a pervasive (relational+transactional 10.3), but I would like to update some table directly on the database. There is a way to find a user/password and some tools (like toad for oracle) to manage data/object ?

Thanks a lot.

Jeff

If your software vendor put a username / password on the database, there is no tool that can find it. You'll need to contact the vendor of the application (not Pervasive) to get the database username / password.
    Mirtheil Software

Hello,

In fact, I'm not sure that there's a user/password because when I add the database in pcc, the system doesn't ask me anything and I can browser the table.

So is there a difference between open a table from pcc and open form the software ?

If I install Pervasive on a new server and I copy the database file will I be able to modify it ?

Thanks for your help.

Adding the database does not mean that security is not enabled. It is possible that the files have security set so that read only access is available if no password is specified.

There can be a difference in how the software opens the file and how the PCC opens the file. PCC uses JDBC (in PSQL v9 and later) or ODBC (in v8 and earlier). Your application may use Btrieve or some other method.

Are you trying to execute INSERT / UPDATE / DELETE statements on the table in the PCC or are you trying to modify the values in the Grid? There should be no difference but it would be good to know.

Installing to a new server and copying the data will not magically allow the engine to update the files.

Did you check all of the reasons given for the status 46? Did you verify the file is not open read only according to the PSQL monitor? Did you verify the file is not in v5.x format? Did you contact the vendor of the software to find out if they require a password or ownername?
    Mirtheil Software