Unanswered: colation settings

Hi friends,

I have some queries on reagding collations. Can anyone guide me in the right direction??

1.We are in process in building new SQL Servers to host multiple application Databases. Do you recommend that a SQL Server of a collation only hosts application DBs of the same collation?

2.Would like to know what is the impact if I communicate between two sql server having different system/application database collation settings.

3.Is there any harm, if I have system database collation as different and application database collation different?

4.What is the difference between
    Latin1_General_CI_AS, SQLSortOrder=0
    SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, SQLSortOrder=52

5. What kind of impact in sql quries and distributed quries will have with database with different collation settings.

Any thoughts or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

The short answer is, it depends. If you're only comparing numerical data, there won't be any conflicts. In the real world, it gets messy. Collation depends on whether you specified binary or Windows collation during setup and on whether you use Unicode.

I googled <"sql server" collation> and got several useful links, many from MSDN.

To try to answer your questions:

1) You can specify a different collation for each DB and even for specific columns. The system is built to handle diverse collations, although the default is to be homogeneous. If you can keep the results straight, then use multiple collations.

2) Again, the system is built for multiple collations. As long as both instances have the proper language interpretation skills, you should be okay.

3) System collation is internal and may be irrelevant.

4) I see you've gotten an answer for this on another forum.

5) Seriously depends on the data involved.