Thread: db2 newbie

Unanswered: db2 newbie

Hello, I am new to DB2.
    I am part of a team that is changing our software (which now talks to Sybase and Oracle) so that it is also able to converse with DB2.
    On a windows box, where does db2 store application data files?
    By default, what extension does db2 use for application files?
    Does anyone forsee a problem installing db2 express-c on windows vista home premium?
    Thanks,
    Doug

Provided Answers: 1
    Not sure what you mean by "application data files". If you are asking about the database containers, by default they would be located under the directory named after the instance name (DB2, if that's the only instance on the server). As for file extensions, there are too many to mention.

Why do you need such information for application development?

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "application data files". If you are asking about the database containers, by default they would be located under the directory named after the instance name (DB2, if that's the only instance on the server). As for file extensions, there are too many to mention.

Why do you need such information for application development?
    Yes, by 'application data files' I do mean 'database containers.' I would like to know what to expect when installing db2 on my 64 bit vista home machine.
    Thanks,
    Doug

Check the LIST TABLESPACE CONTAINERS for some useful information. Also "get dbm cfg" .
    ---------------------------------
    www.sqlserver-dba.com
    www.dba-db2.com

The database paths are normally defined in the create database command when specifying automatic storage locations for each database. If not specified, it defaults to the default database path, which is defined in the DBM (instance) config (which is usually the home directory of the instance owner). For Windows, it is a little different, as you will see for the SAMPLE database that gets automatically installed on Windows.

The file extensions depend on what files you are talking about. For DMS tablespace files (containers) there are no fixed extensions if you specify them yourself (not using automatic storage). Not sure why you need to know the extensions (unlike Oracle, it is best to keep your hands off the data, index, etc files and only interface with DB2 utilities).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390