Post Product Based database

Im trying to design a database for a eCommerce style website that isnt interested in selling online yet. Its a flooring business with lots of different categories and iv tried to make it a few different ways but there are so many different things associated with each item i cant get a solid design down.
    I intend for the database to handle a product search on the website.

Carpet - name, color, manufacture, fiber, big_picture, small_picture, roomscene, store stock (yes/no), type of room, avalible_in_15
    (names will probably be changed on creation)

Hardwood - name, manufacture, treatment, species, big_picture, small_picture, roomscene, store stock (yes/no), type of room, stain, board_size

Laminate -

Ceramic -

Cork -

Linoleum -

The rest will be similar to the above but with slight differences and i would like to be able to add eCommerce support relatively easily in the future unless its more efficient to build it with the ability for eCommerce now.

Thanks for any insight.

Sto.

A couple of Data MOdels that will help you ...

Hi

>>>The rest will be similar to the above but with slight differences and i would like to be able to add eCommerce support relatively easily in the future unless its more efficient to build it with the ability for eCommerce now.

Thanks for any insight.

Here are a few Data Models from my Database Answers Web Site that will help you.
    Starting with an online Art Gallery :-
    Online Art Galleries Data Model

and here is one for open-ended User-Defined Hierachies that you can use to design a Product Catalogue :-
    User-Defined Hierarchies Data Model

Here is one example :-
    Complex Product Catalogs Data Model

Finally, here's one with Inheritance :-
    Product Catalogs for Paints Data Model

HTH

Barry Williams
    Principal Consultant
    Database Answers

Thanks Barry,

having a template helps a lot. It gives me a solid base to start with although it shows me how little i really know about it.

Looking at the complex Model Complex Product Catalogs Data Model im not sure how i could fit the products into it and get the right output because of the different columns i need. Would i need to have a unique products table for each parent product (laminate, carpet, hardwood, ect..)?