Unanswered: display picture on screen

Am in a vba program within a form & have a picture i would like to display on the operators screen. Text msgs i can use msgbox but i have a picture. Any ideas? TIA

Provided Answers: 59
    use an image control
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Ok if i understand property might have image control, would u give me a bit more direction. TIA

You will need to create a form the has an image control.

See:
    Picture in Database
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach HiTechCoach.com (free access stuff)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    BPM/Accounting Systems/Inventory Control/CRM
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

It just occurred to me that i am using vba to update the records of a table within a form which contains the pictures i would like to see. Is there some way to refresh (?) the form after the vba program updates the table? TIA

Need more details to give you any specific.

With Access it is best to not store the image in the database. If you do store the images in the data you will be limited to a few images. Otherwise your database will bloat to the 2 gig limit very fast.

In my previous post I provided a link to a sample database that shows the best way to work with images with Access. Are you able to look at the example database?
    Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.

I done something similar once before when I made my own photo album with a preview image. The image displayed depending on which record you were viewing. I don't remember the exact coding I used I'm afraid. It was a lot more complicated than this but a very quick way of doing it would be to have something which activated this code each time you wanted the picture displayed or changed;

Me.Image0.Picture = "w:\images\image1.bmp"
    Me.Image0.Requery

If you wanted to display an image depending on what record was selected then you just amend the location of the image to pick up the value from the record i.e.

Me.Image0.Picture = Me.text0.value
    Me.Image0.Requery

access 2007 has the insert pictures which it then compresses. Our pictures are scans in black & white which are ~14k before compression. Since we have about 7k records we are sure the 2g limit will not be reached. However our current problem is the operator has no idea what picture he/she is adding to the table. That is what we would like to provide to the operator. The form has the index & the 2 scans. The op clicks on the add button which takes the op into a vba pgm which adds a record to the table. That is where in the vba pgm we would like to update the form to the latest entry so the op can verify the scans are in sync. TIA

Ah ... the new Access 2007 attachment data type.

I do lots of document management stuff. I have tried to use the new attachment data type in a ACE (Access 2007) database. I keep running into issue trying to use it. I have abandoned it.

Have you checked out the DBPix image control (Click Here)?

Would i like to talk to bill gates in person, with all my troubles with pictures in access 2007 i have hit a new low. I type in the last name (part of the index) of the persons scan and it has an apostrophe ie: D'amore. Guess what the record disappears into the db but i cant find it. Whats more if i try to reenter the index it says i cant because i made it unique. So anyone got any idea what could cause such bizarre action. 800 records & then i use an apostrophe as part of the index :-( SIGH!

Interesting .... I have never had that issue. I looked at some of my apps and I have several tables with fields that have a ' and even " in text fields that are indexed. No issues.

About Access 2007, do you have the Office 2007 SP2 update installed?

Yes it says sp2.

I am stumped.

Have you tried compacting the database?

Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach

Yes i have sp2, yes i have compacted. However after shutting down and trying it again the next day i had no trouble. It was late, i was tired & expected the update to occur too quickly. I will have to take back all the things i said about bill gates :-). Thanks for staying with me.

Darn them computer gremlins.

Thanks for the update. Glad it is working for you now.