Unanswered: Access Frontend, SQL Server backend

Hi, I am just starting a project where I need to take an existing Access (2010) database and modify it so the database will sit on SQL Server 2005 - but the front end will still be the Access interface.

I've had a quick go at this and created an Access project (adp file) that is connected to a table in SQL Server. However, I do not seem to be able to add new records to the table via the Access interface, only within SQL Server.

I really need to still be able to add records via Access, and for this to update the SQL Server database - is this possible? Or is the Access end only useful for searching or writing queries on exisiting data that sits on the SQL Server database?

Apologies if this is a bit basic - I'm new to this!

Many Thanks

Rachel

We do exactly this . . . write Access front ends with SQL back ends.

Don't use the ADP concept, especially with an existing database which may have taken advantage of Access tricks that are not available in ADP.

What you want to do is to simply split the database using the utility Access provides (in Access 2003, its in the Database Tool>>Move Data>>Access ribon option), and then export the data database into SQL.

Then, using the Linked Table Manager, refresh all your attachments in the program database to point to the SQL database.
    Ken

Maverick Software Design

(847) 864-3600 x2

Thanks - I will try this and let you know how I get on.

Rachel

Provided Answers: 1
    Performance will be better with an ADP, but yes if there is too much vb code in the forms and such then the migration will not be smooth.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com