Unanswered: using an FK and constraint together - best practice?

I'm working on a datamodel where a certain sequence of approvals is required by certain approver types.

Approver types are really set up in my system as roles. For example, there is a role table with an IsApprover flag:

roleid rolename IsApprover
    1 Local Manager 1
    2 Region Manager 1
    3 User Admin 0

So I have an ApproverSequence table with an ApproverRoleId FK which joins to the Role table.

However, I don't want User Admin to be a valid approver selection so I could add a check constraint to the ApproverSequence table to enforce this.

So my question is - If I add a check constraint to limit the role selection to a subset of roles then is it even worth it to have a FK on the ApproverSequence table to the Role table?

It seems like the referential integrity would be enforced by the check constraint so the FK would be needless overhead.

Is this a correct assessment?

Provided Answers: 4
    However, I don't want User Admin to be a valid approver selection so I could add a check constraint to the ApproverSequence table to enforce this.
    How are you planning to enforce that in the ApproverSequence table? Show us your actual SQL code.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages