Unanswered: Requirement Estimate

Hi,

My question is not really a technical one. I have been out of work for 2+ years. Am about to start a job next week doing Oracle back end, Forms, and Reports development among other things. I was asked if I could take a look at 3 report requirements and give an estimate on how long it would take to correct errors in these reports. All I have is a user requirement document stating what the report is currently doing and what it should be doing, a partial screen print of an Oracle Form showing correct data, and a sample report page showing incorrect data.

I am finding it rather difficult to give an estimate without seeing tables, relations, code, etc. Is it me or does this seem nearly impossible?

Thanks for any feedback.

~K

Cool

Maybe it's a test of how you would a) request the necessary/missing information, b) how you do the analysis and c)how you prepare the estimate.

Good luck!
    The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Provided Answers: 1
    Request more information if you're uncomfortable with what has been provided.

Either it's a test to see if what you will do with minimal information and you would do well to display a willingness to go after what you need to do the job. In which case it's in your favor to demonstrate how you react to poor requirements by raising the flag and say you don't have enough info to be accurate.

Or, alternately, this could be how they operate on a day to day basis. In which case it's in your favor to raise the flag and see how they respond to someone demanding reasonable requirements in order to be accurate. If they respond poorly, take that into consideration before accepting the position.
    Last edited by Teddy; 06-07-11 at 17:00.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks for the feedback. I was initially wondering the same thing. However, I have worked for this company before so they know my work - everything from analysis to implementation and all that's in between. The only difference is that last time I was employed by a recruiting firm and contracted out to company x and this time I will be employed by a software solution company and contracted out to company X. The software solutions company wants to provide company X with an estimate on how long it would take to make the mods.

The problem is that I did not work on this particular system last time I was there so have no idea what the database looks like and have never seen the code or reports before. In general, isn't it kind of difficult to give an estimate simply based on "the report does not calculate this and this correctly and sometimes X is right but Y is wrong..." without actually seeing the code and tables?

Provided Answers: 1
    To directly answer your question, yes, that is kind of difficult.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***