Unanswered: Sequence holes issue

Hi,
    I'm posting here an issue that is struggling me during the last days...

I have a simple sequence that I use to generate consecutive document numbers but somehow I get continuosly holes...

Probably there is something wrong in my code but I can't find it.

So, my question is: waiting to find the real bug, is it possible to create a procedure that runs frequently and check if the current value of the sequence is the same of last document and if not, update the current value with the correct number ?

how it sounds to you ?

thanks.

Provided Answers: 12
    If you need consecutive numbers a sequence is the wrong solution. A sequence will never be gap-less.

I know (now). I'm just looking for a workaround to gain the time needed to change it in something better

create your sequence with NOCACHE. It will still have a hole if you rollback, but a lot less.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

If you really want this, you may be inspired in these threads on AskTom:
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/...#4344043130503
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?...11000346070688

Be aware that for assuring no gaps, each transaction asking for number has to wait till the transaction currently holding the most recent number ends. If it would not, there would be a gap if the previous transaction rolled back and did not use the number. See notes about serialization in those threads and do not complain about performance - this bottleneck is (logically) necessary for achieving this requirement.

Provided Answers: 12
    Just a side note: none of those solutions will prevent holes when rows are deleted...