Unanswered: Upgrade SQL 2008 to latest Service Pack / Cumalitve update question

I am in the process of learning SQL 2008 and find myself rather confused on how to ensure I am on the most current/tested update. I have purchased the developer edition and the standard edition both of which are showing (SQL Server 10.50.1600). So how do I know what SP and Cumalitive updates I already have and if I need to install a Service Pack and then any cumalitive updates that are tested?

I am under the impression to update the Visual Studio I just open it up click on help and look for updates and grab any that may exist.

Use the query : SELECT @@SERVERNAME AS ServerName, SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion') AS Version, SERVERPROPERTY('ProductLevel') as SP to see relevant information.
    This is for the SQL Server versions.
    ---------------------------------
    www.sqlserver-dba.com
    www.dba-db2.com

When I run the query that you gave me I get the below:

Ver: 10.50.1600.1
    SP: RTM

I downloaded the SP2 for SQL Server
    Ver: 10.0.4000
    When I tried to install it I get the message, "There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer." I guess I still don't grasp how the version breaks down. 4000 is higher than 1600 what am I missing out on here?

Provided Answers: 54
    One of the Microsoft Marketing Mavens decided to create a new product name that was too close to an old product name. SQL Server 2008: Standard is SQL 10.0, and SQL Server 2008 R2 is SQL 10.5 which is a seperate version. The two products have the same major version number (10), very similar names, but different code bases. They are not interchangable at all.

This confuses many people, even those with lots of experience with both Microosft and SQL Server.

The SQL Server version you have is R2, or 10.5. The Service Pack you have is 2008, or 10.0. There is no way to apply that service pack to that SQL Server, they are like oil and water.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.