Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Unanswered: Problem creating tablespace on raw device on AIX system

    Hi,

    I am trying to backup a tablespace created on a raw device on AIX system.
    I have created a raw device in AIX using 'mklv'. I have executed the following command to create a tablespace on raw device:
    db2 => create tablespace ts4 managed by database using (device '/dev/rawlv' 100)

    It gives the below error:
    DB21034E The command was processed as an SQL statement because it was not a valid Command Line Processor command. During SQL processing it returned:
    SQL0298N Bad container path. SQLSTATE=428B2

    I have attached the db2diag.log file for reference.
    Any suggestions where I am going wrong?

    Thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    335
    Code:
    2011-06-09-06.32.50.898281-240 E2053A1288         LEVEL: Error (OS)
    PID     : 569388               TID  : 2315        PROC : db2sysc 0
    INSTANCE: db2inst1             NODE : 000         DB   : DB2DATA
    APPHDL  : 0-7                  APPID: *LOCAL.db2inst1.110609102615
    AUTHID  : DB2INST1
    EDUID   : 2315                 EDUNAME: db2agent (DB2DATA) 0
    FUNCTION: DB2 UDB, oper system services, sqlodelete, probe:40
    MESSAGE : ZRC=0x840F0001=-2079391743=SQLO_ACCD "Access Denied"
              DIA8701C Access denied for resource "", operating system return code
              was "".
    CALLED  : OS, -, unlink
    OSERR   : EACCES (13) "Permission denied"
    DATA #1 : File name, 11 bytes
    Check the Permissions.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Question

    Permissions for the raw device created are as follows:

    brw-rw---- 1 db2inst1 system 10, 16 Jun 09 06:14 /dev/rawdev

    Do I need to changethem?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,516
    Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody1 View Post
    create tablespace ts4 managed by database using (device '/dev/rawlv' 100)
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody1 View Post
    brw-rw---- 1 db2inst1 system 10, 16 Jun 09 06:14 /dev/rawdev
    Are you sure?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Unhappy

    Sorry that was just a typo error

    Correct cmd is:
    create tablespace ts4 managed by database using (device '/dev/rawdev' 100M)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Question

    Do I have to perform binding of raw device to a block device before creating a tablespace on it?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,737
    Nobody (except apparently nobody1) uses raw devices any more for DB2 tablespaces.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Question

    But this is an requirement, Can you please let me know the steps for creating tablespace on raw devices in db2?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4

    Wink Nobody1

    Going through the conversations I feel that the issue is with the permissions on the file system.

    Plz answer me the following points,
    1) Are you able to see the Filesystem.
    2) However UNMOUNT & REMOUNT the partition once.
    3) Check the permissions on the FS using the command below,
    ls -ld 'FS' --> ls -ld '/dev/mapper'

    Kindly check the URL below for steps to create a TBS on a RAW Device.

    DB2 Database for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by vinubaby View Post
    Going through the conversations I feel that the issue is with the permissions on the file system.

    Plz answer me the following points,
    1) Are you able to see the Filesystem.
    2) However UNMOUNT & REMOUNT the partition once.
    3) Check the permissions on the FS using the command below,
    ls -ld 'FS' --> ls -ld '/dev/mapper'

    Kindly check the URL below for steps to create a TBS on a RAW Device.

    DB2 Database for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

    Do I need to mount a Filesystem on the raw partition?
    If yes how do I do that?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4

    Wink

    Dear,

    I have asked few questions, I need answers on that,



    Kindly find the below to mount a partition,

    http://www.building43.com/blogs/2010...scue-in-linux/

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by vinubaby View Post
    Dear,

    I have asked few questions, I need answers on that,



    Kindly find the below to mount a partition,

    http://www.building43.com/blogs/2010...scue-in-linux/
    I am working on an AIX platform and I didnt find any steps to mount a filesystem on the raw partition.

    But is it required to mount a filesystem on a raw partion?
    If yes then what is the use of creating tablespaces on raw devices?
    Last edited by nobody1; 06-13-11 at 07:15.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,516
    Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by vinubaby View Post
    Plz answer me the following points,
    1) Are you able to see the Filesystem.
    2) However UNMOUNT & REMOUNT the partition once.
    3) Check the permissions on the FS using the command below,
    ls -ld 'FS' --> ls -ld '/dev/mapper'
    Vinubaby, we're discussing raw devices here; they're called raw because they have no filesystems on them. Your advice is totally out of whack.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    5,516
    Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody1 View Post
    Do I have to perform binding of raw device to a block device before creating a tablespace on it?
    As far as I know, character raw devices are not supported in DB2 9.7; you'd need to use block devices.

    Configuring and setting up DMS direct disk access (Linux) - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    As far as I know, character raw devices are not supported in DB2 9.7; you'd need to use block devices.

    Configuring and setting up DMS direct disk access (Linux) - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    using mklv the following raw device file is created:

    brw-rw---- 1 db2inst1 system 10, 16 Jun 09 06:14 /dev/rawdev
    crw-rw---- 1 db2inst1 system 10, 16 Jun 09 06:14 /dev/rrawdev

    and I am using /dev/rawdev to create tablespace on.
    Am I correct in using the block device for tablespace creation? Or are there any steps to be followed before this?

    I am working on AIX platform

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •