Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: What is your preferred PHP editor?

I am using PSPad right now, it's a simple text editor with syntax highlighting. I like it because it can open almost any type of text file and it is fast (many times faster than Dreamweaver).

What PHP editor are you using and why?

Provided Answers: 59
    htmlkit from chami soft is fine

however if you use something like eclipse you can get access to debugging tools from the scripts execution. it can be a pain to set up, Ive never actually done a setup but its supposed to make developing in PHP much more user friendly, and easier to track down some of the more frustrating bugs in php
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

To me Dreamweaver and HTMLkit are designed for people who don't really know how to code.

I have PSPad, however it has some nasty habits like doubling line spaces, which makes code really difficult to read.... will get around to removing it!

I have used Ultraedit for many years and its my standard editor.

vi

(this message is too short for some reason)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
    vi
    Well yeah, if you are into that kind of thing. Much prefer point and click, 21st century kind of computing, rather than something that you need a "Doctorate in Vi" just to be able to use..... much more important things to be concerned with

I think more people use Dreamweaver so any one here who explain why dreamweaver is more people use it? Where it is different from pspad?

Provided Answers: 54
    Ultraedit is very, very good and it runs on many platforms (including most *nix varients).

UEStudio is my tool of choice for editing almost anything, but it only runs on the Windows platform. UEStudio offers some truly luxurious tools for editing, debugging, and managing PHP projects.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks for giving me valuable answer which is helped me.

Nice inputs

It's good that I joined this forum site.

I'm using most of the time Notepad++ while Eclipse sometimes if it requires SVN or GIT access.

I am currently using PhpStorm from jetbrains.

It does what i want and much more. It is very powerful.

I switched from eclipse after i had some problem with it and didn't get much help from forums.

phpstorm community is more supportive. it has vi plugin for user who are used to vi.

give it a try and you won't look back.

notepad++
    d
    x

I think phpDesigner is the best.

I think phpDesigner2008 is the best editor to use because it almost work like visual studio editor. We can easily jump to the function declarations and variable definitions as in visual studio. This works best when modifying open source php projects.

If you are just starting i have to agree with jx12345 and ianemv notepad++ is definitely easy to use, but if you are in the intermediate level already with php and find notepad++ so plain, I use phpDesigner 7

editplus and pspad

for small change notepad++
    otherwise eclipse