Unanswered: To get access to input text automatic frome one field to another field

Hi all,

I have a question regarding how I can get access to input text from one field to another field in 4 different tables.
    Description of how I'm planning the datebase:

The database will be used to register biological samples. There are 3 different projects to be registered in the database. I’m planning to use 4 tables: Registration, whole blood, RNA and DNA where sampleID is the primary key in all the tables.
    To change the project I planning to use option group. When selecting one of the projects in option group will emerge a subform. in the subform will include volume and comment on samples.
    it is in the subform here I wonder how I can get acces to enter the sampleID Into the sampleID in the tables: whole blood, RNA and DNA.

Regards
    Geir Arne

Do not use the same key as the PrimaryKey (PK) in more then one table. Put the PK of one table in a ForeignKey (FK) field the other tables which should have their own PK field. You can still make the tables 1:1 if you want by making the FK fields unique index as well.
    RuralGuy (RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP - acXP, ac07, ac10 - WinXP Pro, Win7 Pro
    Please reply to this forum so all may learn.

Provided Answers: 59
    use a sub form to record the the details of each sample type. Having the same PK in multiple tables isn't neccesarily a bad design, its indicative of a possible problem,but without knowing the full details of the requirement its tricky. the same PK/multiple tables is normally indicative of a one to one relationship which is rare in the db world but not unknown, often its used for physical design requirements.

having said that it may make more sense to have one table, depends on the design.

if you do multiple samples for the same person then then separate tables may be a smart call
    if you always do the same tests, then one table per sample, one table per person/registration

if your sample data is always volume & comment then I'd have one table to hold all sample results with a FK to identify what type of sample it was and who (or what registration) its from.

if however you think the data is discrete then a table per sample type makes sense (you can add different things as required over time.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Re

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    use a sub form to record the the details of each sample type. Having the same PK in multiple tables isn't neccesarily a bad design, its indicative of a possible problem,but without knowing the full details of the requirement its tricky. the same PK/multiple tables is normally indicative of a one to one relationship which is rare in the db world but not unknown, often its used for physical design requirements.

having said that it may make more sense to have one table, depends on the design.

if you do multiple samples for the same person then then separate tables may be a smart call
    if you always do the same tests, then one table per sample, one table per person/registration

if your sample data is always volume & comment then I'd have one table to hold all sample results with a FK to identify what type of sample it was and who (or what registration) its from.

if however you think the data is discrete then a table per sample type makes sense (you can add different things as required over time.
    Thanks for the answers, it was very helpful