Thumbs up Unanswered: Adding record# _ of _ into a form

Hello,

I am designing a form for a database of part numbers. In some cases there needs to be multiple records with the same part number. How do I number these records for a part number in reference to the total number of records for that part number ( record# _ of _ records)?

Thank you for your help!

Provided Answers: 59
    depends on your physical table design
    presumably your primary key is going to be the part number AND a release or build or specification number.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

i am not currently using a primary key in this database. I did not believe it was necessary. Should there be? Also, I searched and found this:

Row numbers and alternate colors to a Continuous Form - .NET Framework insights

It describes how to do what I want, but where do I add the Public code?

Provided Answers: 59
    if you are not using a primary key then some might suggest why are you suing a realtional db at all...

when Ive come across this sort of problem before there is always the part number and some other piece of information which makes this instance of a part number unique. whether its a revision number, a build number or whatever doesnb't matter, but I would expect some extension item which makes that instance of a partnumber differnet to other instances with the same part number but a different version.

all it needs is an additional column
    if you want to make it integer
    make bothee the aprt number and the new column the primary key (so that stops muliptle definitions of the same part number AND issue / build / whatever. allow the users to put in that value as required.

if you want to be tricky you could find the next available number using a domain lookup such as dlookup
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton