Unanswered: newbie needing help

greetings,
    I am a cost accountant , using an inhouse (i think) developed operating system called Embrace , i want to desperately write macros for easy download of info, but cannot get the string of VB code to input in excel vb to start downloading data, i have no idea of how to get the ServerName, Address etc.....
    I know it can be done has i connected to AS400 database in my previous job and it made my job extremely easy, ........in this new environment , getting this connection will completely change the way things are done here.......
    tons of maual work and printing reading, re-typeing etc etc...........any help in getting started will be much appreciated!

Plse forgive me if i posted this in incorrect forum

cheers

Where exactly is this data coming from? What sort of database? Or when you say download do you mean your are grabbing is from the web??

If you can give us some more detailed information we can probably help.

more info

Thx for reply, ok i am using a Legacy system called Embrace, i want to retrive the "Bill of Material" file and the stock master file from the db into excel via vb code, later i would like to retrieve GL info aswell, we are migrating to JD edwards soon, so downloading data to excel makes "housekeeping" easier

thx in advance

He needs to know the exact type of database you are using. Oracle, SQL, Mysql etc...

Provided Answers: 59
    right now I'd suggest you need to find ouyt more about 'embrace'. there is a MRP package that hails from South Africa
    Associated Computer Solutions ACS-Embrace Manufacturing
    there is a UK consultancy

but if its written in house then you need to talk to your inhouse systems people to find out more about 'embrace'
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thx for reply,to get the following data

I contacted ACS thx, they don't support this site, they told me who does, but unfortunately no support contract is currently in existance, we are only going to use this Embrace for next 5 months so no cost can accrue to the vb string connection i am trying to get, i still don't know the type of server i am trying to connect to connect to i managed to get following from ipconfig all...i am still trying to get vb connection string to access embrace db files from excel vb..............plse help....what would i need to build the string, all i have is the hostname : Screenex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ipconfigall.JPG  

i also found the following

i found this with nslookup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.JPG  

Provided Answers: 59
    knowing the IP address of the server is all well and good
    however you don't know how the data is stored, in what type of storage. it could be a commercial Db such as SQL server, Oracle and so on, it could be a propriatory format.

unless you know the server type I doubt you will be abel to create an ODBC connection string

unless you have adminstrator rights to the Embrace db then I doubt you will be able to get permission to read the data in the Embrace system.

as regards to cost, ultimately it comes down to what is the data worth to your organisation. if it has value then your company may need to expend cash to retrieve it, if it has no value then its a waste of your time tinkering around at the edges.

As no one has, as yet, come up here and said they know anything about Embrace I doubt you will be able to rely on detailed assistance .

I'd strongly sugest you escalate this wioth your company's IT setup. they shoudl be able to tell you more about Embrace

Ideally they should be able to tell you what storage mechanism it uses (whertehr its propriatory, whether its an SQL engine and so on. they should also have administrator rights to the DB and therefore should eb able to setup or tell you what to do to connect to the that storage mechanism.

your ipconfig screen dump tells us nothing about the data storage

we can't tell you the connection string as we don't know the db you are connecting to.

there may be an odbc connection available somewhere within your organisation, but we are not going to be able to find out. check the documentation for Embrace, there may be ODBC and or server settigns available in that.

sweet talk the company that support embrace, failing that raise a payable support call with them. If the accountants in your business aren't prepared to do the right thing on this then grasp 'em warmly by the throat, till they either stop being warm or do what they need to
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

thanks for that detailed response

i managed to get the a meeting with embrace support, i will get the db type,then get right back to you.The problem with cost, is the support company is in disaggreement with us on work done charges accruing, so getting to know the type of db should not cause much of a problem,
    again thx for the help so far, you have been exceptional!!

Greetings : Additional info - Universe db

hello, i was just told Embrace is a Universe db............i hope this will start the construction of the connection string rolling

I tried to connect i found a machine that had the uniVerse db as an external sourrce from the universe log file i found this error

[IBM][UVODBC][2701930]Error ID: 46 Severity: ERROR FacilityBCAPERR - UCI Error. Func: SQLConnect(); State: IM976; uniVerse code: 0;Msg:[IBM][SQL Client]ODB930071

still cannot connect ....plse help....i have tried the following code in excel vb , and got to logon screen attached ...

Sub CreateQT()

Set oQt = ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add( _
    Connection:=sConn, _
    Destination:=Range("a1"), _
    Sql:=sSql)

oQt.Refresh

End Sub

i got to a dialogue box chose the correct db SCR and then to logon box below and then the error ,msg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unidk.JPG