Unanswered: Access and Sage 50 ODBC integration

Hi all,

I've had a search, and can't find any answers that directly relate to my query, and messing around with a pretty large Sage database is not something to be taken lightly.

The situation is as follows...

My client is a small manufacturing company, they take orders, which are processed on the Sage line 50 system (i.e., purchase order numbers, clients, products wanted, etc.). When the products are actually made in the factory next door, they are physically fitted with a serial number at the end of production for waranty purposes.

The client wants to have an MS Access database setup, for numerous reasons, which will pull various tables of data from the sage line 50 accounts on a live(ish) basis (I'm going to have a refresh link button setup). But one thing that is imperitive is that the factory workers, who physically add the serial number to a given product, can have a workstation setup with MS Access database on it, so they can locate the product they are manufacturing, and assign the corresponding serial number to that product.

The main issue with this is that THE FACTORY WORKERS ARE NOT TO BE ABLE TO AFFECT THE SAGE 50 DATABASE. So I'm in need of a read only odbc linking method between the two programs. Sage doesn't need to know anything about the serial numbers linked to a product, Access merely has to import/update the data from sage, whenever a button is clicked.

How can I ensure without a shadow of doubt that the factory workers won't be able to update any part of the Sage system through MS Access? If they can, I'll have a lot of very unhappy accountants to deal with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 7
    With Odbc connection if you don't set the primary keys up them the data comes readonly

What about this idea
    Get msaccess to make snap shoot of the of the days production

Something like at 3am msaccess start up and does a marketable getting data form stage 50 database and this is what the production guys see .
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.