Unanswered: Large SQL Database Size

Hi,

Long story so ...SQL admin resigned and I ended up managing the SQL server (I'm the developer). We were having some issues with disk space and when I run sp_spaceused on our database I got the following results:

database_name database_size unallocated space
    MyDB 56207.88 MB 45544.69 MB

reserved data index_size unused
    6995264 KB 6166912 KB 809864 KB 18488 KB

The DB has a SIMPLE RECOVERY model. What would be the best practice to reclaim space? Do I just do it directly SSMS where I can run the task to SHRINK the FILE?

Best shrink action to take?
    (1) Release unused space
    (2) Reorganize pages....
    (3) Migrating data to other filegroups.....

TIA

I have no or little experience in reducing the size of a database. What I've done so far is simply run Shrink using Management Studio or re-create the whole db (I'm also a developer). I suppose adding a new harddrive is not an option?

Adding disks is usually pretty easy - especially when you're only talking about a 56GB database.

If you really wanted to shrink the file, you could use DBCC ShrinkFile

However, what you need to consider first is why are your database files at the size they are at:
    1.) Did previous DBA just overestimate file sizes when creating the database
    Or
    2.) Did something put a load of data in the database which extended the file size out that has subsequently been removed, if so is it possible another task will run that does something similar again in the future.

Remember increasing the size of a file takes time - if you have a transaction running that is going to pump 10GB of data into a database even temporarily, it needs the space to do it. If that space is not there it will need to spend a minute or two extending the file which slows down not only the transaction doing the import but also potentially other transactions.

Quote Originally Posted by EngadaSQL View Post
    Adding disks is usually pretty easy - especially when you're only talking about a 56GB database.

If you really wanted to shrink the file, you could use DBCC ShrinkFile

However, what you need to consider first is why are your database files at the size they are at:
    1.) Did previous DBA just overestimate file sizes when creating the database
    Or
    2.) Did something put a load of data in the database which extended the file size out that has subsequently been removed, if so is it possible another task will run that does something similar again in the future.

Remember increasing the size of a file takes time - if you have a transaction running that is going to pump 10GB of data into a database even temporarily, it needs the space to do it. If that space is not there it will need to spend a minute or two extending the file which slows down not only the transaction doing the import but also potentially other transactions.

Thanks. It was #2. We decided to upload images to the SQL server as a binary/image file. Initially, the JPG images were at its full size (several MB big per image). I had several trials on images uploads with different file size. Eventually, I resized them to a manageable level (~20K each). I didn't notice I was getting hit with an expanding DB until I saw I had 2 GB left on the server disk.

Also, I was not sure about using SHRINKFILE or SHRINKDATABASE since I was reading recommendations not to use it because it causes fragmentation.