Unanswered: Option group and enabling text boxes...

Hi all,

I am working with a grad student who is trying to create a Option Group, with one of the check boxes being "Other" and a corresponding text box. She doesn't want the Text box to be enabled unless Other is selected; sounds easy enough, but because it's a check box as part of an Option Group, I'm stumped. When I go into the Event properties, I don't see the usual full list - only things like Lost Focus, Got Focus, On Click, etc. Every time I've done something similar to this, I have used the After Update event, but it's not in my list. We also thought about putting in a Check box removed from the rest of the option group, but move it into the group's boundaries, but that would mean it isn't mutually exclusive. Any ideas?

We're running Access 2007....
    Thanks
    Chris

Provided Answers: 14
    If the checkbox is a member of the option group controls, the AfterUpdate property concerns the option group, not the checkbox itself. Only one control in the set of controls linked to an option group can be selected: these controls are mutually exclusive.
    Have a nice day!

Hi Sinndho,

I realise that - it's the mutually exclusive functionality we want. One of the questions is about Languages spoken at home; we want the data entry person to only have the ability to select one, but if the language spoken isn't in our list, we want them to have the ability to select "Other" and put the language in. That's why we thought of doing an option box, but then adding in an extra check box and a text box. The problem, as I mentioned, is that there won't be the mutually exclusive functionality for this, unless we write VBA (which we don't want to do).

Other than I can't, are there other options people have used? I can't imagine I'm the first person to run into this problem.......
    Chris