Unanswered: Access report to PDF

My ACCESS report preview looks find but when I send to a PDF Printer, the output loses text and formatting.

Can anyone offering any advice on this?

Try adjusting the margins of your report.

An A4 page is 21cm by 29.7cm so if your margins either side are 1cm, make sure that your report design is just short of 19cm in portrait, or just short of 27.7cm in landscape.

If you are using MS Office 2010, you might also want to try exporting the report as a PDF document. I don't think this would make any difference but it's worth a short.

DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "ReportName", acFormatPDF, "C:\...\...\...\ReportName.pdf", False

I use a product called Win2PDF to generate PDF files. Unfortunately, it only uses certain fonts when creating the PDF. So if you use some funky font in the report and then print it to PDF it'll use plan old Arial. Maybe something similar is happening to you.

C

a good program to convert (and i have had no probs) is CiB PDF Brewer,
    Last edited by danlindley; 06-30-11 at 19:04. Reason: forgot somethign
    sometimes simple is best.... and i'm just a simple fellow.

I'm not sure why you would have to send this to a PDF printer. The output PDF format is built into the latest versions of Access, at least in 2007 and up it is. You don't even have to have any Adobe PDF software installed. The code for my database where i have a button that automatically generates a PDF of a purchase order (which is a report formatted to look like your purchase orders) so you don't have to manually find the folder where they are kept and make sure they are named the same.

Here is what the code looks like if yours looks the same then you might have version conflicts, i.e. old version of Access and new version of PDF reader or vice versa.

DoCmd.OpenReport "rptPurchaseOrder", acViewPreview
    DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "rptPurchaseOrder", acFormatPDF, _
    "U:\2011PurchaseOrders\" & "PurchaseOrder" & [PurchaseOrder#] & ".pdf", False

PS, if you are using the code builder instead of VB this may be your trouble.

Alternatively, if you have Acrobat 9 or above, the installer installs a driver that mimics a printer, and in my experience it's close to perfect. I use lots of lines and colors, and I have no problems with it.

Sam

The method described by christyxo and myself doesn't go through a print spooler so whatever page setup you have in access when you look a print preview should be what you get. It doesn't "print" the file it converts it to pdf, which i have found works a little more reliably.