Unanswered: DB2 in one environment creating huge LRG files

Problem Definition:
    DB2 V9.1 on Windows Environment is creating huge LRG files on our development environment. We compared the configuration with the testing environment to understand this problem. There are some differences but we fail to understand which parameter is leading to creation of such huge files.

The development environment has around 15 LRG files all sized to 30GB, 40GB, 80 GB etc. totalling to 170 GB!!!
    testing environment has each LRG file not more than 350 MB

Can you please look into the attached analysis and help us resolve the problem of huge LRG files.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Toronto, Canada
    Provided Answers: 1
    These are just tablespace containers. It's not DB2 that creates data in them; it's the database users.

I get you, but consider this:

1. Testing environment has atleast 3 times the data as compared to development environment. Still testing environment LRG file size is not more than 350 MB whereas LRG file size in development environment in 80GB

2. There is some configuration in development environment due to which such huge LRG files are getting created.

If you can have a quick look at the configurations of both environment may be you can tell us which configuration is the culprit. If you promise me not to ask where I work, I can tell you that we do not have a DBA on our project, so we are looking forward to experts on this forum to guide us.

Jena, Germany
    Do you have the same pattern of data access (insert/update/delete/reorg/...) on the test system and the production environment? If the data in the test system is mostly read only, things won't change much. If the production system has, for example, some append-only tables and a lot of activity in terms of data modifications, growing tablespaces are not surprising.

You could collect statistics on the tables and see if there is unused space, for example. Also have a look at the details for each tablespace. It also tells you how much used vs. unused space there is.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development