Unanswered: Forms and queries and tables - oh my!

Hi all,

One of the people in my group had come to me a week or so ago looking for help with designing and building an Access database. I reviewed with her all the important stuff, and then showed her how to create a form based on a table. She's now gone and (to my amazement) built some fairly complicated forms. The problem is that we need to have a tabbed form, with one form that has already been created per tab, and the whole thing feeding into the table(s) or a query. If I create the tabbed form, put the indiviudal forms into the tabs, my concern is that because the records will not be joined by the ID, this will cause problems in data entry. Any suggestions how I can fix this for her so she doesn't have to rebuild the whole thing? there are over 50 tables, and she has worked so hard on it I would hate for her to redo the whole thing.

Your thoughts are appreciated...
    Chris

I would caution you against a tabbed form that looks at too many tables. I once built a form like that and it took forever to load when the database started collecting a reasonable amount of data.

When the form loads it will start by connecting to ALL of the tables/queries that you have as the data source. If it is more than 4 or 5 tables it will slow down quite a bit.

However if you still want to do it, the only way I know of to have a form with multiple data sources is by adding subforms. An existing form can be added to the main for as a subform.

For example, if you have 3 forms (From1, Form2, and Form3) you can add three tabs to Form1. Then move all of your controls on Form1 to the first tab. Then add a subform to tab 2 that uses Form2 as the source. Then on tab 3 add Form3 as a subform.

Typically when you are using a subform it somehow relates to the main form. Assume you have the OrderID field in all three forms. When you add a subform it will ask you how the data is related. All you need to do is tell it to use the OrderID. When you choose a new OrderID on the main form (Form1) all of the other tabs will move to the proper OrderID. With a new record, it will show them as blank. If you add any data the proper OrderID should be added to the proper record source.

Thanks DCKnuckle, I'll give your subform idea a shot; I haven't worked with them in a while and forgot about the linking.

Good point about the performance - I'll have to keep that in mind...
    Have a great day

Chris