Smile Unanswered: Database on Server

Hi,
    I am fairly new to this, so I would like to know a couple of things:

How do I get a server? Like one just for me and my work?
    How do I put a secure database on it?
    How do I connect it to my computer, so when a message is sent to my server it is automatically downloaded onto a database on my computer?

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna-SH View Post
    How do I get a server? Like one just for me and my work?
    SQL Server is a program that provides database services to other programs. The machine that runs software like SQL Server is also often called a "Server" since it provides the hardware that runs the programs that serve other programs. Please re-phrase your questions, I am not sure what you are asking.

How do I put a secure database on it?
    Please explain what you mean by a "secure database". By default, SQL Server keeps databases as secure as you keep your server itself. You decide how secure you want or need to keep things.

How do I connect it to my computer, so when a message is sent to my server it is automatically downloaded onto a database on my computer?
    Can you explain what you mean by this a bit? I don't understand the question.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

SQL Server is a program that provides database services to other programs. The machine that runs software like SQL Server is also often called a "Server" since it provides the hardware that runs the programs that serve other programs. Please re-phrase your questions, I am not sure what you are asking.
    I mean is it possible to get server urls like http://1234.me.com , so when information like emails or messages from mobile phones are sent to the server it is stored on an online database.

Please explain what you mean by a "secure database". By default, SQL Server keeps databases as secure as you keep your server itself. You decide how secure you want or need to keep things.
    Thank you, my question has been answered.

Can you explain what you mean by this a bit? I don't understand the question.
    I have a separate database on my computer, e.g on access and every 5 mins it synchronises with the databases on the server, and downloads the information, therefore storing it on my computer.

thanks