Unanswered: Trouble with MySQL query

Hi there guys, I am having a little trouble with the following query.

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM members WHERE location1 LIKE '$term' OR location2 LIKE '$term' OR location3 LIKE '$term' OR location4 LIKE '$term' OR location5 LIKE '$term' OR location6 LIKE '$term' OR location7 LIKE '$term' OR location8 LIKE '$term' OR location9 LIKE '$term' OR location10 LIKE '$term' ")
    or die(mysql_error());

I have 10 locations with a prefix's defined within the database, these are for post code areas.

e.g. Aberdeen = AB

At the moment I am getting the correct results if the user submits for form with $term = AB but if someone types AB1 this will fail and not return any results. Not sure if there is anyway that I can trim the $term to allow 2 char's. If I use the wild card % I will receive too many results as a will exist within another post area. e.g. LA.

Kind of stuck at the moment of where to go.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Rich Lacey

Toronto, Canada
    why does a member have 10 locations? what are you gonna do when a member comes along who has 11 locations?

do a search for first normal form and then please redesign your table before proceeding any further with your query | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL