Unanswered: Partitioning in SQL 2005

Hello

How can Partitioned the Existing Database In SQL 2005.
    After partitioning, any changes in Accssing data from table

Regards
    nishajk

if you are looking to optimize your database by partitioning your database, following link will take to steps for this :

Partitioning a SQL Server Database Table

Best Regards
    Krishna.

I have partitioned the existing table in DB, Not a new table
    Please Help..

Thanks & Regards
    NishaJK

so you have already partitioned the table in your database and now you are concerned with the performance issues.

If a table is partitioned, SQL Server can often eliminate irrelevant partitions from even being considered by query optimizer and only examine those partitions that contain the requested data, as defined by query predicates. This feature is called partition elimination. In order to benefit from partition elimination, the query should not return data from all partitions.

it was general description, what sort of help you want, will you please elaborate ?
    if this has helped you out . please let me known and suggestions are most welcome.

Best Regards,
    Krishna.

Yes.. I have partitioned the existing table. Now I face performance issue .
    Stored procedure is for selecting the data...
    After parationing, any change can made in the stored procedure for selecting data .Any alternative ?

Any other method for partitioning method for existing table , not a new table

Thanks & Regards
    NishaJK

Certainly, the most important point of partitioning is speed.

check out if the query is hitting all the partitions ?

is yes then,you can slightly modify your WHERE clause in select argument to allow data to be selected from fact table or partition ( and not from dimension table,if fetching data from two tables) so that execution plan for the statement will not examine all the partitions.

in the same way,if you join multiple partitioned tables and specify search arguments for each table in the WHERE clause, SQL Server can eliminate partitions from each affected table and can provide excellent querying performance. The query execution plan would show multiple constant scan operators, each referencing only those partitions relevant for the given query.

try this out.

Best Regards,
    Krishna.

Ok.. Thank You ...

Thanks & Regards
    NishaJK

Please let me know if it worked for you or not ? also mention another strategy,if any you applied to overcome issue.

Best Regards,
    Krishna.

It is working Fine

Thank You

Thanks & Regards
    NishaJK