Unanswered: Access template required

I should start by saying this will be my first database build. I have average Excel experience so it's going to be a long road for me. However I told a family member I would try to put something in place for them.

I have Microsoft Access 2007 but I'm really not sure where to start and am hoping you guys can get me off and running.

The long and the short of it : The database I'm hoping to create is for collecting spray-able paints and their ingredients, namely chemicals. Each paint is made up with primers/thinners along with Parts A and a part B for colouring etc. Each of those 3 criteria have their own paint product codes. Hopefully the database will allow me to do a search for these paint codes after I have inserted them into the database. Once the paint code is located I can set up a Hyper-link is to another page to view everything about the paint including the ingredients, it's chemical hazards and risks factors, along with many other things.

I want this database to be able to store thousands of paints hence the use for a database as opposed to just using excel. It needs to have the ability to pair up the different 3 parts searched for, as mentioned above, and compare the risks within each paint combination presumably using some sort of sort, filter and display functions in Access???

When I have searched for the 3 criteria as mentioned above to create a paint, by choosing the suitable combination from the filtered results.... I then need a further page to be produced for a customer report of sorts capable of being printed off.

I'm looking for a Microsoft Access template, the standard database templates for Access don't seem to anything that looks similar to my needs. Does anyone know of any good templates to get me started or point me in the right direction, and/or any other info or advice I may require?
    Last edited by Peco141; 07-03-11 at 15:26.

New Zealand
    Provided Answers: 5
    The hardness part is get the tables right you will need to think about the table layout once you have that sort the rest is easy

What I do when building a new database I would spend a long time think and PEN and paper getting the table right
    Remember store the data once.
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008

clear as mud indead.

Can you even point me in the right direction of where I can get a few more templates that might get me started as I'm not entirely sure how to even build a table.