Question Unanswered: ad hoc query crashes sql server

We've recently migrated several sql server 2000 databases on a 32 bit server to sql server 2008 on a 64 bit server. As I result, I've had to change all of our 32bit data sources for opendatasource and openrowset to their 64bit counterparts - in this case, Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0. I've also had to change the server's registry setting of DisallowAdHocAccess to 0 (because clients without admin access are uploading this data).

Unfortunately, I've discovered that using openrowset for xlsx files completely crashes sql server with error 17311. I have to manually restart both sql server and agent even though agent is set to autorestart sql server on failure.

The query I use that crashes my server is:

Select * FROM OPENROWSET('Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0', 'Excel 12.0;Database=\\MyMachine\public\example.xlsx;HDR= YES', 'SELECT * FROM [This_silly_sheet]')

Has anyone else run into this and found a runaround? Unfortunately I don't have a 64bit SQL08 dev box to test workarounds and I can't chance crashing the production server again.

Same Problem

I have your similar trouble.

SQL crash when server is too much busy (not for ALL ad hoc query).

I use OPENDATASOURCE instead of OPENROWSET and Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB is configured to run "inProcess" with SQL Server Standard Edition 64bit.

I was thinking to write a specific application that run at 32 bit and invoke it to do same works of Opendatasource but i'm not sure this is a good idea.

This is an annoying and big problem.

Please, if anyone has any idea is appreciated !

Thanks.