Unanswered: Backing up tables?

Hi guys, im currently developing an app and am changing the database as i go (dropping and recreating), but the problem is i have to re-enter any data i had from scratch.

Does anyone know how i can backup data from specific tables so i can import it again the new table (as long as the columns are the same, ofc) so i dont have to do it each time?

Im using sql server manager 2008

Thanks!

Hi,

I am not sure how many tables you are dealing with, but does it make sense to have a test database with you backed up data, and to insert it from the test db to the live db? I doubt that would be feasible for 100 tables, but it may work decently for a smaller amount.

Jason
    Webmaster at SQL Optimizations School

I guess I don't completely understand why you're having to completely drop tables instead of altering them, but you could just make a quick copy of the tables:

select * into [backup_table] from [table]

If you have to drop table for some reason and then recreate it empty, you can then just reverse the insert:

select * into [table] from [backup_table]

You could easily write this into a script using information_schema.tables.

I use a similar method to make copies of tables without copying the data:
    select * into [table_copy] from [table] where 1=2

Another option is to create a linked server to excel or csv copies of your tables, then just pop the new tables from the linked server. This is also scriptable.
    Kit Lemmonds

Quote Originally Posted by Jason W. View Post
    Hi,

I am not sure how many tables you are dealing with, but does it make sense to have a test database with you backed up data, and to insert it from the test db to the live db? I doubt that would be feasible for 100 tables, but it may work decently for a smaller amount.

Jason
    Webmaster at SQL Optimizations School
    The thing is the database i am working with is "in-progress" mode so i am always adding and removing, but i dont want to input the test data each time.

Quote Originally Posted by onansalad View Post
    I guess I don't completely understand why you're having to completely drop tables instead of altering them, but you could just make a quick copy of the tables:

select * into [backup_table] from [table]

If you have to drop table for some reason and then recreate it empty, you can then just reverse the insert:

select * into [table] from [backup_table]

You could easily write this into a script using information_schema.tables.

I use a similar method to make copies of tables without copying the data:
    select * into [table_copy] from [table] where 1=2

Another option is to create a linked server to excel or csv copies of your tables, then just pop the new tables from the linked server. This is also scriptable.
    I am not altering tables because i am using an external program to generate my SQL. Therefor, i have to drop everything and re-create when i want to change something. Does your "select * into [table] from [backup_table]" work from one db to the other?

Thanks!

Yes - as long as you fully qualify in the statement:

Code:
    select * into BackupDB.dbo.[backup_table] from ProductionDB.dbo.[table]
    and to restore
    Code:
    select * into ProductionDB.dbo.[table] from BackupDB.dbo.[backup_table]
    Actually, "select into" creates the table and would throw an error if ProductionDB.dbo.[table] already existed. If the table already exists but is empty, you would actually need an insert statement:
    Code:
    insert	ProductionDB.dbo.[table](column1, column2,...)
    select	column1, column2,....
    from	BackupDB.dbo.[backup_table]
    Kit Lemmonds

Thanks man, will try that. But what if i need to a full DB backup, can this be done easily or do i have to do all these steps for each table?

Thanks

To backup:
    Code:
    backup database <name> to disk = 'full path'
    To restore:
    Code:
    restor database <name> from disk = 'full path' with replace
    with replace is required only if you will restore a database in full or bulk logged recovery model without backing up the transaction log first.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter