Unanswered: My Theoritical Question

I 'm just thinking if we can create a report without use olap.
    i know that it will be a hard thing.
    I believe that with a mix of queries,we can produce a nice report.
    do you agree??
    I'm waiting to listen your opinions.

I'm creating reports both with and without the use of OLAP. What I use depends on the type of data I'm querying, to what degree I should aggregate data, and of course how much data I need to access to retrieve the information needed for the report. I've also found that some scenarios are so complex that it is virtually impossible (at least for me) to solve them with MDX queries against a cube.
    Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - MSSQL.no - Facebook - Twitter

Provided Answers: 1
    Why in the world would you NOT be able to produce a report without OLAP?
    This question makes no sense at all.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

I'm confused. I don't really use OLAP all that much but I've always considered it a front-end / middleware to normal everyday sql. If you run a trace during an olap tool's work, I'm sure you'd find it's just a series of vanilla sql statements on different facets of the data. The simplest example would be "select item, cost from catalog where categoryID=4" quickly followed by "select sum(cost) from catalog where categoryID=4" for a subtotal. Ideally an olap tool would perform these operations at runtime in memory instead of querying the db for everything. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if many olap tools were nothing more than in-memory databases.

If you have the patience, you can create an olap tool's most involved dataset, but it is kind-of reinventing the wheel. Also, the olap tool is supposed to be optimized for performing these types of operations so you're not loading down your production db.
    Kit Lemmonds

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    Why in the world would you NOT be able to produce a report without OLAP?
    This question makes no sense at all.
    sorry,for my silly question.
    i am a little bit confused about this issue.
    i try to understand the differences,the advantages and the disadvantages.

Provided Answers: 1
    OLAP means merely "Online Analytical Processing", as opposed to OLTP which means "Online Transactional Processing". Database designs are usually optimized for one or the other, but a report is simply a set of data, and of course data can be extracted from either type of database.
    OLAP databases are typically comprised of data that originates in one or more OLTP databases, transformed into a schema that makes writing the sql for reporting easier and more efficient. They also offload expensive report processing from the transactional database that needs to dedicate itself to production data processing.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman View Post
    OLAP means merely "Online Analytical Processing", as opposed to OLTP which means "Online Transactional Processing". Database designs are usually optimized for one or the other, but a report is simply a set of data, and of course data can be extracted from either type of database.
    OLAP databases are typically comprised of data that originates in one or more OLTP databases, transformed into a schema that makes writing the sql for reporting easier and more efficient. They also offload expensive report processing from the transactional database that needs to dedicate itself to production data processing.
    thank you very much for the explanation.
    i have read about olap in my db books from my university but...i could not understand if i can create reports without olap.

thanks again!