Unanswered: IF Statement Help

I am developing a database using Microsoft Access 2003. Within this database there is a login form which works perfectly fine.

What I am trying to do is to write an IF statement so that if a user enters their password wrong three times then they're account is suspended. In the Users table where the username and password are stored, there is a field called Account Suspended which is a Boolean data type.

I want a piece of code to check this box and freeze the login wizard if the password is entered incorrectly three times.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Paul.

Hey Paul,

you could do it like this:

In the form's code declare a Private integer variable outside of any Sub, Function or Event - you can use it as a counter for the wrong logins and it will be accessible from within the form or form's code.
    In the Form_Open event you can initialize it (e.g. set it to zero) and in the Click event of the Login button you increase this variable by 1 each time a wrong login happens. If it has reached the value of 3 you lock the user by updating the field in the table..

The only problem with doing it ehansi's way is that I would have an umlimited amount of attempts logging in, so long as I closed the application after getting it wrong twice and then went back into it.

I would have a field within your username table called Attempts with a default value of 0.
    Each time a login attempt is made run 2 seperate updates to the records

The first adds 1 to the attempt number
    The second changes the status of active to false where attempts is greater than 3

Dim SqlStr1 As String
    Dim SqlStr2 As String
    SqlStr1 = "UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.Attempts = [Table1]![Attempts]+1 WHERE ((([Table1]![Username])=[Forms]![Form1]![Text01]));"
    SqlStr2 = "UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.Active = False WHERE (((Table1.Attempts)>3) AND (([Table1]![Username])=[Forms]![Form1]![Text01]));"
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd****nSQL (SqlStr1)
    DoCmd****nSQL (SqlStr2)
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True
    Once the user successfully logs in, have an update to reset the Attempts to 0

Dim SqlStr As String
    SqlStr = "UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.Attempts = 0 WHERE ((([Table1]![Username])=[Forms]![Form1]![Text01]));"
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd****nSQL (SqlStr)
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True
    Last edited by christyxo; 07-12-11 at 10:26.