Unanswered: Select records in one control based on another.

I think this is probably a waste of time anyway because as I understand it all the data for each of the controls on a subform is loaded even before the data for the main form but here goes anyway.

I have four tables - 1 is a list of users, 2 a list of manufacturers and 3 a list of products the manufacturers are selling. The third table has three fields - the ProductID, the manufacturer and the product.
    The fourth table is a list of the products purchasers have made showing the manufacturer, the product and various other descriptions relating to the product eg colour etc.

In my database I have a main form giving details about the user and a subform showing the products he has bought. The subform is based on the fourth table.

I would like the form user to be able to select the manufacturer on the subform then be shown the products that manufacturer makes.

Is it possible on the subform when adding a new record for the user to be shown in a second control just the products a manufacturer makes based on the users choice of manufacturer in the first control? (if there are two controls on the subform and the first selects the manufacturer can you determine the products which can be shown in the second control, based on the users choice in the first control?).

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    This is normally done with Comboboxes and a concept called "cascading comboboxes" although the exact same thing also applies to Listboxes with the MultiSelect Property set to None, and the code is interchangeable. Here are a couple of links with examples:

Access Tips: Cascading Lists for Access Forms

Cascading Combo/List Boxes - Microsoft Access / VBA

If you Google the term "cascading comboboxes" along with the "Access" you'll probably get about a gazillion hits!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks Missinglinq,

That's brilliant - don't know how I've missed this.

Thanks again.

Jim K