Unanswered: Installing IBM DB2 ODBC/JDBC drivers

Hi All,

I'm brand new to the site and relatively new to the iSeries having come from the SQL Server platform and in the environment I'm working in I find the query manager on the AS400 extremely unproductive.

I've done some research and I see there are ways to connect to the AS400/DB2 using ODBC/JDBC which can then in turn be used with some free SQL clients.

First, what FREE SQL clients are people using? The best one I see is SQuirell SQL, but I'm open to other FREE suggestions (please under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you respond with a client that has any cost).

Second, I've downloaded the ODBC and JDBC driver from the IBM website (https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docv...id=swg21255394) (IBM DB2 Driver for JDBC and SQLJ / IBM DB2 Driver for ODBC and CLI), but I have no idea how to install them on my PC.

Can anyone help me on what I need to do with these files? The ODBC extracts to a series of folders, but there's no read me and therefore I'm not sure what I'm doing. The JDBC seems slighly more compact, but again I'm not sure what I should be doing with the files (I'm using Windows... again, please answer the question I've asked and don't ask me to download the entire run-time client or iSeries access since neither of those are an option. Please forgive me, but I've been on enough boards where people say "why don't you try this as an alternate solution" when I'm asking for a specific answer to this specific issue).

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Provided Answers: 5
    When you decide on which SQL client you want to use, you will probably need some setup with it to connect to your DB2 database. During this process, it will want to know where the JDBC drive is. So just put the drivers in an easy to find directory for now.

Andy

Jdbc

Ok, so that works for the JDBC, but now I need some guidance with the ODBC ...

Provided Answers: 5